Discuss Informing Building Control in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SolarCity

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm assuming that everyone does this, right?

Well we have just been asked to pay £350 for building control approval while in the past we have never been charged. What are everyone else's experience of this?

Like a pratt, I didn't include it on the contract that building control fees would be paid for by the customer :-(

Doesn't your trade body do this for you under the competent persons scheme?? We're with Niceic and when we register the job they advise buidling regs. I spoke to a couple of local building regs at length some time ago and basically they're not interested, particularly if it comes through the cps.

I agree with SRE. I had a interesting conversation with BC only last week (Not PV job but seized my chance) Very nice chap and I have dealt with him before. He retires next year so will end up with a university grad who thinks he knows the lot but hay I'm off track.

BC will come and look if you ask them but as a competent person and members of certification bodies we do their job for them. If a job requires planning permission it is not necessarily the case it needs building regs.

What are your circumstance Biggs

We have always informed building control and they have pretty much just said "none of our concern", in not so many words. However, we have just been told that a visit is required for our new site and we've been quoted £350. I like to cover all bases before we land on site (We can't afford any delays in payment, after all) but I'm beginning to wish I hadn't mailed them.

My take has always been to put the onus on the customer for B.C, like planning. If it is clear the roof will take the weight/lift, then there shouldn't be a problem. If it's a bit dodgy, then he is advised to get B.C's 'nod' and we can help. But we require him to confirm that he has taken the necessary steps to 'clear' the install.

I find the whole BC thing really muddy. I spoke to one BC officer about an install and they wanted pictures of rafters and dimensions before, plus they were going to visit during install to check I had not damaged its waterproof or structural integrity. I spoke a couple of weeks later to a different person from the same council and they were quite happy for installations to go ahead so long as a company carried the install out and they were members of a CPS etc. So as the CPS covered the electrics only, by definition, they weren't bothered about the roof structure.

I wonder if they're starting to worry/cash-in on this?

When I enquired at Derbyshire Dales building control I got this reply :

As a policy, we would ask for a Building Notice application to cover this work. We would then assess any implications to the roof structure, water tightness, etc.

I have attached a copy of our Building Notice form and fee sheet for info. The fee's are based upon estimated cost of work, see schedule 3.

I have to say I think the LA's I spoke to didn't want the hassle, but the structural surveyor we work with sometimes is horrified and thinks all jobs should have a structural survey. I'd just build it in to the costs if we weren't being nailed down on price at the minute. Time was an issue when we needed to turn jobs around quickly but now that we've got a few weeks ahead I think I might revert to including the cost in each job. It's only £250 + vat and Building regs would be happy with the survey.

Reply to Informing Building Control in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net