Discuss Informing building control in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

phawk

I've just come to the end of a large domestic re-wire and I'm using it for my NAPIT inspection. The problem I have is that the builders I am working for need it signed off 'NOW'! by building control, but my inspection isn't for a couple of weeks yet. Is it acceptable to complete the Electrical Installation Certificate and submit it to building control, or do I need to wait until my NAPIT registration is complete?

Thanks

Paul

I am with the NICEIC as an AC and DI so I can self certify, I think if you are not on a recognised scheme you have to pay LABC to come and sign off the work for you. I think you may have to get them to come out before and during the work though so I don't know your way forward for this project.

Typical of builders, everything should have been finished yesterday. The first sign off is tricky like that. I got a friend to sign off my first Job then explained to the assessor it was all my work but etc etc , he was cool.

Did you explain to the builders before you started the work that you were not registered and able to issue a Building Regulations compliance Certificate, and would be using the job for your registration?
If you did and the builders are now trying to rush things, then suggest that as they are responsible for making notification, that they do so.
Obviously they will have to not only pay the notification fee, but the extra fee for regulisation.
If you didn't explain the situation, then you have a bit of a dilema.
Either persuade them to wait or you'll have to make notification yourself.
Failing that, just become incomunicado untill the assessment.

I would have thought Building control registration for compliance would be via the builder and the services such as gas and electrics would be self certified and collected by the builder on behalf of the client and presented to them.
There is indeed a dilemma in the timing and the possibility that
1/ the assessor doesn't accept the standard of the electricians work
2/ the client won't allow the electrician and assessor on site after the builders have gone

Its a shame the NAPIT assessor couldn't get there before the builder leaves site. However, if the work has been completed satisfactorily the only comeback is the builder uses it as a leaver to withhold payment....

I had this issue with my first install before becoming registered with NICEIC.

You can notify Building Control yourself even before you're registered as a Competent Person (there's a box to tick to say the install was done to BS1761 requirements but that you're not registered on a Competent Person scheme.)

Downside is that it'll cost you circa£175 (from memory) for the notification. Also, you're supposed to notify the intention of work before the work happens, then submit the certificates afterwards......so you may get hit with a fee for 'retrospective' permission to given.

I dont know if the LABC come out to visit site, but can you inform them you are just starting the job then next week tell them you are done and need it checked, then you only have to hold the builder back for a week.

Might be hard to convince them a large domestic rewire/new build i presume was done in a week though

I have a feeling you have to inform building control within 21 or even 25 days from completion, I could be wrong though, but worth looking into anyhow incase I'm right.

I have a feeling you have to inform building control within 21 or even 25 days from completion, I could be wrong though, but worth looking into anyhow in case I'm right.
The customer must be supplied with the building regulations compliance certificate within 30 days of the completion of the work, so usually there is about a 20 day time limit on submitting your notification to a scheme so they can get the paperwork out to the customer in time.
(I am sure there will be one last test still to do before the work is complete!!!)

Reply to Informing building control in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock