• IMPORTANT: The thread you're reading / posting in, could be in a DIY electrical advice area. Please be aware of your local laws. You're not allowed to provide advice to, or seek advice from, DIYers and fellow professionals in some States, Countries, Countys etc with regards to some types of electrical installations or repairs. Keep that in mind. If it's against the law where you are - always get a professional electrician in to carry out the works instead of doing it yourself. The forum will not be held responsible for any outcome of any applications of any advice sought from it.
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Infrared heater tripping RCD on high setting in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I’ve just installed an infrared heater for my conservatory. It’s plugged into a socket. The heater is happily running on the second heat setting (1600W) but when I turn it up to the high setting (2400W) after a while it trips the breaker.
Any suggestions on how to solve this please?

Aico 3000 Range

Rpa07

-
Arms
Esteemed
MCB or RCD even though you put RCD in the title.
Questioning overcurrent so tell us characteristics of the circuit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the swift replies and suggestions. I may have solved it though. Just had a quick look at my ‘handywork’ and the cable from the unit was pressed against a hot surface (guess that’s not ideal). I’ve re-routed the cable and so far touch wood it’s fine.

What you have described definitely isnt a good idea but unlikely to cause the problem you described unless it has actually damaged the cable. Are there any signs of thermal damage?

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools

Reply to Infrared heater tripping RCD on high setting in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom