Discuss Inline bathroom duct fan for two bathrooms, and two switches... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just been round to a customers house who said he would like to replace his ceiling fans in his normal bathroom and also the ensuite with a new one as I am about to do his bathroom lights etc...

Anyway, I said you could go for an inline duct fan in the loft so its quieter which I've fitted many before, but I was wondering about using one fan for two bathrooms with two switches.

If I connected the switch live from the bathroom light to the fan as normal that will work, but if I took another switch live from another I would end up in the situation where power is going to the other light fitting when I didn't want it to.

Does anyone know of a unit that would allow dual control or a better way of doing it other than putting two fans in?

Thanks.

Use double pole switches so that the lights use one pole and the fan the other, then when you switch the local switch, the lights and fan come on but the lights in the other room will not. Make sure the lights / fan are both on the same circuit!

have you noticed how much of a faff its become these days to fit a simple light & fan in a bathroom ?
triple pole this , double pole that , fused down fan the other ?
bunch of modern day crap really lol.

Probably just as cheap to buy and fit another in line fan as it would be to buy an adaptable box, a couple of relays, a Y split and a couple of in line back draft vents.

I've had this before on whole-house ventilation units, where several bathrooms on different ccts have need to put it into boost mode. Just take a normal switch line from the bathroom up to a contactor coil (one per cct) then just gang a S/L over however many contactors you end up with.

Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbFBL9i2cfX6IIRvUkn0LZ58fYsgGtWTfwtnnhxiyQS3Zt3D2 SGGbMA6LQJbyAas0yKwhWzAOi0CW8gGrNMisIVswDotAlvIBqzTIrCFbMA6LQJbyAas0yKwhWzAOi0CW8gGrNMisIVswDotAlvIBqzTIrCFbMA6LQJbyAas0yKwhWzAOi0CW8gGrNMisIVswDotAlvIBqzTIrCFbMA6LQJbyAYA 2kRAPb7D5fpnGQ1rUMKAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
fan switching multiple lights.jpg

Reply to Inline bathroom duct fan for two bathrooms, and two switches... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net