Discuss inline shower fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi need some advice. Recently fitted a 100mm 20w standard inline shower fan for a very small shower room. the fans stated extraction rate is 90m3 but it appears to have very little suction and the customer is stating that it isnt clearing the room when the shower is in use. Now i have checked the ducting and it appears to be extracting as there are signs of water in the ducting where it attches to the fan. Now is it a case of the fan just not beeing powerfull enough and i need to fit a more powerfull fan ? As i thought 90m3 would be sufficent any ideas please?

to add this is the first inline fan i have fitted so not too sure on how much suction there should be/ or you can feel. All i know is that when the fan is running it wont even hold a smoke paper or piece of tissue to the grill is this normal

No that is not normal.I fit expelair ones and they almost suck my hand up.Is it one of these with the lights inside the grill?What make is it?

thanks stuart. The fan is made by a company called airvent was part of a kit the customer supplied. i did not do the full install just replaced the broken inline fine with a new one too existing ducting and wiring (fusing down to 3amps as required) only thing i can think of is the fan is 5ft away from the inlet grille could this be causing a problem? if so it will have to be rewired so it can be repositioned. But it sounds like the fan is just not powerfull enough or is faulty as i said it wont even suck a smoke paper to the grille.

yeah ive told the customer that a larger fan higher extraction may be required. a mixed flow in line fan ( 180m3/245m3 ) should do it, Do you think the length of ducting from fan to inlet grille is the problem ? thanks stuart for your advice

yeah ive told the customer that a larger fan higher extraction may be required. a mixed flow in line fan ( 180m3/245m3 ) should do it, Do you think the length of ducting from fan to inlet grille is the problem ? thanks stuart for your advice

Just sounds like its not big enough for the job!A decent centrifugal would be better.60 odd quid

Axial fas won't handle much pressure, the mixed flow variety are generally better at handling pressure, they're also quieter and they don't overload the motor if grills become blocked. If it's a very small bathroom (like an en-suite) I would work on at least 20 room changes per hour. Measure the volume of the room and multiply by 20 to get the hourly volume required. Then find a fan that can do that duty. You might also need to fit an air vent in the door if the room is well sealed to allow the fresh air in that's replacing the extracted air.

Marvo's right about making sure that there's a route for allowing air into the room. I cut the bottom off the door, making sure that there's at least half an inch gap.

I tend to go for a high pressure fan of 160 or even 250 cu m /h. The ordinary cheap in-line fans are OK for trickle ventilation but can't really cope with the amount of water vapour produced by a good hot shower. Also make sure that any flexible ducting is as straight as possible with any corrugations pulled out flat. If necessary cut the ducting shorter and pull.

a cheap fan kit will only pull upto three meters in length. a vent axia or other quality make will pull much further,but no fan will stop the room steaming up only make it steam up less. if your fan can hold a single piece of toilet paper then thats it working. you get what you pay for

...no fan will stop the room steaming up only make it steam up less.
A few years ago I added a 250 cu m /h fan to my own shower room, pulling air from immediately above the shower cubicle, and provided an air inlet to the room. Since then neither of the mirrors in the room steam up. Mind you, there's quite a draught under the door!

The fan is triggered by a flow switch in the pipe feeding the pumped shower head and runs on for a few minutes.

Reply to inline shower fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock