Discuss Inline Surge Protection? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dodger421

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been asked about providing inline surge protection for the UPS supplies in numerous network cabinets around our factory and I'm hoping someone more experienced in this might have some suggestions.

There are about 15 cabinets dotted around the factory containing various switches and routers for all of the networked drives/PLC's/IO's etc. Each contains a UPS and a non-surge protected PDU. IT keep complaining that power surges (real or imagined) are killing the UPS's. They've asked us (maintenance) to fit some sort of surge protection inline with the supply, but I'm not entirely sure that's possible.

The UPS's draw 16A when charging after being fully discharged, they're connected to the supply DB in SWA via a 16A interlocked commando socket. I've not checked every DB but it looks like they're on a single phase 20A MCB in the DB's.

As far as I'm aware the best solution would be to fit a separate 3-phase type 2+3 SPD in an enclosure alongside each DB supplying a cabinet, which has the benefit of protecting all of the equipment connected to it. Not every DB has a spare way to fit an MCB to protect the SPD, which I think is regarded as best practice if not actually in the MI for the SPD's?

Alternatively could a single-phase type 2+3 SPD be fitted in parallel with the outgoing supply for the UPS, or is there some device I can fit inside the cabinets that would protect the UPS as well as the equipment after it?

Even better would be a truly inline solution like a surge protected 16A commando socket, but my trawling of the interweb hasn't dug one up yet, if they even exist at all.

TL;DR
Is there a way to provide inline surge protection for a 16A commando socket?
I think you need to monitor the current and voltage for a couple of weeks before committing to any form of installation work. From experience IT geeks know sod all about power.

You’re right about that, and I’ve suggested we monitor for a while to see what might be causing the UPS’s to blow in the first place. Apparently it’s something that happens fairly regularly but I’ve only seen it once since I started at the end of March and that was after an unexpected power loss caused by a fault in the distributors equipment (SPEN, who replaced part of their switchgear at the end of July. We’ve had no unplanned power loss since).

I think it was caused by the standby generator kicking in, but I’ve no evidence to support that theory, so data gathering would definitely be helpful.

Firstly having SPD will do no harm, and is part of the 18th edition regs.

But my experience is UPS are often simply crap. Are they APC by any chance? We have had 4 out of 5 die within 3 years (from 3 origin and 2 replacements and only 1 still working, and we have very little risk of surges for various reasons, including SPD).

You could make up an in-line protector for high power stuff with a commando plug, socket, and "garage CU" style of metal box to hold the DIN-rail mounted SPD. Parts cost probably around £200 for single phase, around £500 for 3-phase, plus an hour or two to put it together and test. You might be able to buy them ready made as well.
[automerge]1602011098[/automerge]
No idea if they are any good, but as I suspected:

Firstly having SPD will do no harm, and is part of the 18th edition regs.

But my experience is UPS are often simply crap. Are they APC by any chance? We have had 4 out of 5 die within 3 years (from 3 origin and 2 replacements and only 1 still working, and we have very little risk of surges for various reasons, including SPD).

You could make up an in-line protector for high power stuff with a commando plug, socket, and "garage CU" style of metal box to hold the DIN-rail mounted SPD. Parts cost probably around £200 for single phase, around £500 for 3-phase, plus an hour or two to put it together and test. You might be able to buy them ready made as well.
[automerge]1602011098[/automerge]
No idea if they are any good, but as I suspected:

I’m not sure of the brand (I’ll have a look tomorrow) but I’ve read plenty here and elsewhere about poor reliability of UPS. Obviously the wunderkind in our IT department have different ideas about them :-D

The garage CU with an SPD and some DIN terminals is probably where it’ll end up going. I’ve not fitted any SPD’s as yet and I wasn’t sure if they’d be effective if they were only installed for a single outgoing phase? I can’t see any reason it wouldn’t work but I’ve only heard of them being installed at the supply terminals.

That commando socket might be what they’re looking for though, I’ll need to check the actual power requirements of the UPS.

I’ve not fitted any SPD’s as yet and I wasn’t sure if they’d be effective if they were only installed for a single outgoing phase? I can’t see any reason it wouldn’t work but I’ve only heard of them being installed at the supply terminals.
An SPD fitted on the feed cable will do a great job of protecting the device on the end of that feed alone.

Fitting a SPD in to the DB will protect everything fed off that DB, so it is far more cost effective if the DB style/available space/downtime permits it.

Fitting an SPD for each DB was my first thought when I was asked because it protects the cabinets and everything else supplied from the DB. It also seemed like the simplest way to get the required protection.

They would most likely end up being in a separate enclosure anyway, given most of the DB’s are already full and there’s a variety manufacturers and age of boards in the place.

I'd find out the make and model number of the UPS's and download the manufacturers spec sheets. There's a good chance they've already got built-in surge protection and if so this might affect the design of any supplimentary SPD's you might install.

I'd find out the make and model number of the UPS's and download the manufacturers spec sheets. There's a good chance they've already got built-in surge protection and if so this might affect the design of any supplimentary SPD's you might install.

Yesterday was a busy day, I only just managed to get the information and even then not everything.

Riello Vision Dual UPS’s are fitted, though I’m not sure what size we actually have. Looking on their website all versions have overvoltage, undervoltage and transient surge protection included. However, they’re also connected after a Riello manual bypass switch unit and I’m thinking it might actually be this that’s failing rather than the UPS itself (nothing to back that up, just a hunch at the moment).

Either way I’ve managed to convince my boss that fitting SPD’s to the various DB’s is the best way to protect all of the equipment. 3-phase SPD’s in standalone enclosures next to the DB’s is most likely going to be the way it gets done. Whilst we’re sourcing those I’m going to spend a week or two monitoring the current and voltage at one of the cabinets to see if I can find out why the units are failing in the first place.

Thanks everyone for their time and helpful suggestions.

As they have SPDs fitted fitting more would just be a waste of money IMHO. Until you can identify the source of the failures chucking parts at it will achieve nothing.

As they have SPDs fitted fitting more would just be a waste of money IMHO. Until you can identify the source of the failures chucking parts at it will achieve nothing

Yes for the cabinets alone, but as has been pointed out fitting SPDs will also protect equipment that doesn’t already have them built in. So probably a worthwhile investment in general, even if it might not help with the UPS failures.

Equally the IT department would rather spend a few hundred quid replacing an SPD module than thousands on a UPS.

Reply to Inline Surge Protection? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock