Discuss Insect barbecue and heat alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Des 56

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I can only think that it must be infra red light causing the problem
Insect barbecue and  heat alarm {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

( I assume it is IR not UV)
A converted barn,completed and powered up for at least 3 months

The old dear has decided to rent the place out,prospective tenants are viewing tomorrow
Flies have decided to hatch and have a fly convention on her windows,because the sunshine as decided to wake them up

I had a message tonight (I am going to call there tomorrow)
She plugged a fly Zapper into the kitchen socket yesterday and the Aico heat/smoke alarms have started triggering when it is in use, and until the air is cleared

I believe its too much of a co incidence to be a detector fault
Does anyone know if insect debris floating around or UV/Infra red light can cause detector problems or is this "co incidence" just that, a co incidence

These detectors are very sensitive, and it is not unreasonable for burnt flies to give off enough smoke to activate them, but it will depend on a lot of things, such as proximity of fly killer to alarm, and amount of flies being executed etc.

Cheers.............Howard

That fly zapper must be working overtime for it to set off a smoke detector and no chance at all of setting off a heat detector. Best wait until you check out the situation yourself Des. As you know customer descriptions rarely match what's actually happening.

From my experience false fire alarm activation is generally the smokes chambers are full of dust and need cleaning. Have had this problem on just about every project i've worked on (especially in dusty environments) over the years!! The longer the detectors have been installed the more chance of dust contamination you have....

This is extremely rare ......unless the fly zapper is a vapour fluid system, or the smoke detector is an ionization type detector sitting virtually next to the zapper.

That fly zapper must be working overtime for it to set off a smoke detector and no chance at all of setting off a heat detector. Best wait until you check out the situation yourself Des. As you know customer descriptions rarely match what's actually happening.

From my experience false fire alarm activation is generally the smokes chambers are full of dust and need cleaning. Have had this problem on just about every project i've worked on (especially in dusty environments) over the years!! The longer the detectors have been installed the more chance of dust contamination you have....

Sound comment and once again spot on

Here is my update

I visted the barn today,its quite an impressive conversion,but the countryside being what it is.the fly problem was more like an invasion force
I obviously missed the onset of this invasion but the left overs of live and dead flies was more than I have ever seen
There were still literally thousands upon thousands of them,the dead ones were covering everything,the live ones looking for their escape
What could have stirred up this onslaught I do not have a clue

Anyway
Some flies had been attracted to a glass open shaded wall light on the stair,it had an halogen tube,it was full of perhaps a couple or more hundred of the critters,toasted into a crispy pile,the smouldering bodies activating the smoke alarm a couple of feet above and keeping the alarm triggered
The old lady couldn't handle the noise of the 4 alarms and thats when I was called

The under glass of the wall light was clear glass,now its a pleasant shade of soot black
Thanks all for the replies

Why have a barbecue ?....... a chameleon or two would eat them raw

Lol, sounds like some sort of biblical plague. Maybe a dead animal or old food or similar was the cause. Flies only multiply like that when there's a plentiful food source.

Sounds like clusterflies. We had the same problem.

Give pest control a call. They will spray the place then it only needs doing twice a year.

Usually you only need to spray the loft as that is usually where they get in.

They seemed to be your bog standard house fly although maybe a bit on the meaty side

Please excuse my ignorance but what are cluster flies ?

They seemed to be your bog standard house fly although maybe a bit on the meaty side

Please excuse my ignorance but what are cluster flies ?

As many people living in the country have learned the hard way, flies that gather in windows, buzz around the lights and fall spinning to the floor are cluster flies. Their presence solicits anything from mild annoyance to putting a for sale sign on the front lawn!

Bassically instead of getting one or two in your house you get a whole swarm

Reply to Insect barbecue and heat alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock