Discuss Inserting a Submeter to solve access to Meter Box Problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steved29

Hopefully someone can give me some advise on this one

We have limited access to our meter box because it is situated behind a sofa, which has to be pulled out to get access to read the meter.

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to read my meter without having to move the sofa each time (it's a big one???)

All I want to do is to be able to add something to the existing meter that will allow me to see the reading, I thought the introduction of a "Key Pad" would be the solution but that apparently involves a change in billing and an increase in the cost of the ellectricity supplied.

I have been advised that it would be possible to insert a "submeter" and that the submeter could then be placed ontop of the wood surrounds that make up the existing meterbox.

Could someone advise if this is correct, or if there is another solution to my problem

Regards

Steved29

Mirror on a stick.

You could install one of those 'Owl' meters. I think Tescos or Argos sell them, they were pretty cheap I think and they can be installed by a non-qualfied person in a few minutes.

Home | The OWL

Thanks Marvo
Have you used the "Owl" and if does it allow you to read a figure which can be used as a "meter reading" for billing purposes?

Steved29

I'm not sure about their more recent models, I used one of the early ones a few years ago. It wasn't an official ClassII metering device but in real life it was accurate to within 3%. You could use it for 6 months then drag out the dreaded couch and take a proper meter reading and settle any difference twice a year maybe.

Thanks Marvo
Have you used the "Owl" and if does it allow you to read a figure which can be used as a "meter reading" for billing purposes?

Steved29

In one word, NO, the supply company will ONLY accept readings from their meter.

You could get quotes to move it from them, but I would make sure you are sitting down when they give you a price.

Hopefully someone can give me some advise on this one

We have limited access to our meter box because it is situated behind a sofa, which has to be pulled out to get access to read the meter.

I am looking for a solution that will allow me to read my meter without having to move the sofa each time (it's a big one???)

All I want to do is to be able to add something to the existing meter that will allow me to see the reading, I thought the introduction of a "Key Pad" would be the solution but that apparently involves a change in billing and an increase in the cost of the ellectricity supplied.

I have been advised that it would be possible to insert a "submeter" and that the submeter could then be placed ontop of the wood surrounds that make up the existing meterbox.

Could someone advise if this is correct, or if there is another solution to my problem

Regards

Steved29
Why is the meter position behind the sofa? Was the lounge (where sofa situated) an extension? I've seen many extensions whereby the existing OMB has been left in situ. The OMB should always be moved. Another thought is....is your consumer unit / fusebox also behind the sofa?

Who is your supplier see if you could get a smart meter fitted then they give you a little gizmo called a energy monitor then no need for a second meter or any need to pull you heavy couch out after fitting

I had my Pre-payment ones removed and smart meters fitted of BG no cost and even works out a lot cheaper as to have pre payment has a more expensive tariff,
and as it took a little longer than expected to fit from when i ordered in October they refunded the difference to my accounts from October to january
No more meter reading , you have a monitor to monitor your own usage and a online account which you can veiw to predict your bills swap tariffs to a cheaper one they have. Which I have just done and saved another ÂŁ30 on Elecy and ÂŁ20 on Gas
paperless billing
altogether instead of a annual bill in the region off ÂŁ1700or more for gas and Elecy i now have a annual bill of about ÂŁ1,400 or less

Just stick a Wifi camera in their plug it in and access it on the cloud anytime you wish to view it either on your phone, laptop or TV if set up correctly... cheaper than all the other methods IMHO (Bringing you the Thinking Outside the Box ;) )

Reply to Inserting a Submeter to solve access to Meter Box Problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net