Discuss Inspection and certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jamesmf

Hello,

I have a quick question. Please excuse me if my terminology is not 100% correct. When I bought my house a few years ago it had a fairly new electric shower and what looked to be a fairly new consumer unit (RCD's rather than fuses). Didn't think anything of it. I am now thinking to sell my house and after looking around the internet I see there are rules etc. for installing showers and consumer units and there should be certificates and test results (am I correct?).

As I don't have any of this and none were handed over when I bought the house I think I need to get some checks etc done, if not for the future buyer, but to satisfy myself the house is safe.

Can retrospective checks be made on the entire electrical system of the house and certificates and test results obtained for the shower and consumer unit?

Many Thanks

James

Yes mate. You should employ a Part P registered electrician to inspect and test your electrical installation and produce an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). This will give you a accurate indication of the electrical safety of your home.
The main purpose of an EICR is to detect so far is reasonably practical, and to report on, any factors impairing or likely to impair the safety of an electrical installation.
The major aspects cover and include all of the following:
  • Safety of persons against the effects of electrical shock and burns.
  • Protection against damage to the property by fire and heat arising from an installation defect.
  • Confirmation that the installation is not damaged or deteriorated so as to impair safety.
  • Identification of non-compliances with the current edition of BS 7671 (17th Edition of the Wiring Regulations), or installation defects, which may cause or lead to danger.
You can either post your location on the forum, where one of our members in your area should be able to help, or you can select and contact a local Part P registered electrician from the Competent Persons Register (see link below).
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
and it does NOT have to be done by a part pee registered spark. it needs to be done by a competent person. occasionally, the 2 might be the same/

Yes an EICR is required and although it does not need to be a Part P registerd person to do this, any remedial work needed after this report would need to be carried out by a spark with one of the Scam providers.

Yes an EICR is required and although it does not need to be a Part P registerd person to do this, any remedial work needed after this report would need to be carried out by a spark with one of the Scam providers.

Again this isn't true... Why do people insist on selling Part P.

Only works that are notifiable need to be done by a Part P registered electrician and even then this isn't true as a competent electrician should he choose could go down the LABC route which is perfectly acceptable.

Its getting quite annoying when all you read is that electricians should be part P registered to do anything.

Reply to Inspection and certificate in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock