Discuss Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hsharp

4 Years ago I did a 1 day PAT testing course which gained me a certificate to say that I sat the course.
Would you say, bearing in mind the new amendments in the code of practise, that this would qualify me now to carry out inspection and testing of electrical equipment within my company now?

The reason I ask is because now the company I work for wants another colleague to do the course.

I have now done the newer City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment. I have also got my BS7671, Part P and other domestic installation certificates plus 4 years experience in Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment.
Would you say that this qualifies me to teach a work colleague to carry out Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment?

My thoughts on this is if the qualification I got 4 years ago qualifies me to carry out PAT testing and a student who failed his City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment was told that he was still able to inspect and test. All he had to do was prove he sat the exam.

The new COP hasnt changed a great deal, and the qualification is still valid, no need to do it again. It is OK to teach your workmate, but can you give him enough information so that he can recognise deteriorating equipment, and when it is in or out of spec. You will only hit problems when something goes wrong, and someone says "so and so told me", and you are the "so and so" in question.

Cheers..........Howard

When you say TESTING AND INSPECTION OF ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT are you refering to the code of practice for in service electrical equipment OR test and inspect of electrical installation the old C&G 2391?
Pete999

4 Years ago I did a 1 day PAT testing course which gained me a certificate to say that I sat the course.
Would you say, bearing in mind the new amendments in the code of practise, that this would qualify me now to carry out inspection and testing of electrical equipment within my company now?

The reason I ask is because now the company I work for wants another colleague to do the course.

I have now done the newer City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment. I have also got my BS7671, Part P and other domestic installation certificates plus 4 years experience in Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment.
Would you say that this qualifies me to teach a work colleague to carry out Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment?

My thoughts on this is if the qualification I got 4 years ago qualifies me to carry out PAT testing and a student who failed his City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment was told that he was still able to inspect and test. All he had to do was prove he sat the exam.

If you only have a Certificate that states you have been on/attended a course, then it's basically not worth the paper it's written on. The official PAT certificate is a C&G (don't know number) and to be totally honest, that's not worth much either!!

As far as i know, you do not require any additional C&G testing/inspection qualifications to undertake testing and inspection, you only need to be competent, whatever that is!! lol!!

Reply to Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net