Discuss Inspection and Testing Questions in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sparky83

Hi guys,

We are currently having a I&T (PIR) at our building, some of the results have come back to us to rectify.

We have been told that there are some flourescent lights that have cracked diffusers that have been given a code 1 or 2, i have check these but they are perfectly fine other than a crack in the end, they are not hanging off or anythig like that. Also they have said that a diffuser with a missing end cap is also a code 1 or 2.

There is a socket that is mounted on skirting board that is at an angle, it is mounted tightly and the plugs have plenty of room to be out in and taken out with plenty of room below, but this is also a code 1.

They have given us a fault that states "there are a couple of light fittings in the lobby that are showing signs of age we recommend they are replaced", i have personally checked these lights and there is nothing wrong with them, just old looking. But again they are a code 1 or 2.

I can understand giving a under rated MCB or a cable with no cpc a code 1 as it is potentially very dangerous but some of these are silly, a lot of the faults have been here for many years and will obviouisly not be to the current standards but surely that would be reflected in the coding, unless like i said above it is dangerous i would expect code 4's.

We have a small DB that is mounted on wood, to remove the wood would be a bit of an pain as it is all cut to shape with cables going throught it, but if it has to be changed fair enough. They have coded it as a 2, is this correct??? It is in no way a direct danger to anyone.

Any help with the above would be great,

Cheers

Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Shawn,

Whilst you may not agree with their findings, it is they who are signing the paperwork.

With that in mind you are probably going to have to put right what they have coded so that they will issue a satisfactory PIR.

Code 1 for a damaged diffuser or missing end caps is OTT. It would not even warrant a code in my book.

Again, socket in skirting not really a 1. Maybe a 2 at a push.

Lights that look old as you say, dont really warrant a code unless they are class 1 and unearthed or damaged with accessible live parts.

Wooden back DB is a little concerning as it is classed as a fire risk so again, a 2 here.

Hope that helps and maybe some others may have some input on this.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

I understand what you mean with regards to them giving us a certificate, but there are other site electricians and alot of them are questioning alot of what has been found so far. So my company may seek a second opinion or at least get the guy in to explain why he has given certain faults certain codes.

As for the DB, it is mounted on a wooden board, like the electricity board do in the meter cupboards.

Cheers

Shawn

the pir does indeed seem harsh your company can if they want ignore every thing they have said and have another test carried out, equally the pir is a list of recomendations and as jason said it is them signing off,i guess you could get another contractor to work his way through the remedial work and re code them as he goes he could then issue a eic for the work done and would leave the items that seem harsh.

Shawn, if you have any concerns over the accuracy of this report you have the opportunity of asking for clarification from the issuing company. If you are still not happy with their explanation then you can register a complaint with their governing body NICEIC etc. the governing organization will investigate your complaint, but only if you have ,as I have stated, asked for clarification from the Contractor in writing.

Regards... spark1

The company carrying out the PIR are scamming you - plain and simple!

They are trying to drum up work where little (if any) exists. The codes that they have given to the "faults" that you describe are laughable - dreamed up by either the incompetent or the devious. There is no way on earth a cracked/broken diffuser can be coded at all, unless it is mechanically unsafe - thus making it a health and safety issue.

The idea of recommending light fittings be changed because they are showing signs of ageing MAY be valid (depending on the degree of ageing) BUT to code it one or two tells you all you need to know about many of the cowboys who carry out PIR`s I`m afraid.

My only issue thats of importance to me is the wood, is the wood fire impregnated as the meter boards that you buy from the wholesalers are just that, and if in this case it is you should be OK there as well, the rest probably means he or she could not find any else relavant and he or she is just trying to justify the fee.

i agree with the others ask for explination the codes seem very harsh if no satisfactory answer get in touch with whoever there registered with sound like there looking for work

hello im tryin to get ready for me assesment with the nic iv got a ring final circuit upstairs witch provides power to the central heating off a fuse spur when testin R1 + R2 do i test all sockets and the spur or just the sockets? thanks

also theres a garage supply comin frm a 20A circuit breaker frm the house providing power via a fuse spur 2 socket outlets and 3 light points when testing R1 + R2 do i test every point including the spur? thanks

hello im tryin to get ready for me assesment with the nic iv got a ring final circuit upstairs witch provides power to the central heating off a fuse spur when testin R1 + R2 do i test all sockets and the spur or just the sockets? thanks

also theres a garage supply comin frm a 20A circuit breaker frm the house providing power via a fuse spur 2 socket outlets and 3 light points when testing R1 + R2 do i test every point including the spur? thanks

Iceman,

Start a new thread mate:)

Hi guys, thanks for the post since I've been on

I have one of the guys on site with me tonight who has been doing this PIR, another one of the faults that they gave us was that there was no emergency lighting in the db cupboards or small plant/boiler room. I have found a guide fr the electrical safty council that stats emergency lights should not be included on pir's, unless there is an electrically unsafe issue. Well not according to the guy on site here, I asked him about it and his reply was.... It's to do with the electricity at work act!

What are your views on this??

A small list of some of the other faults given,

1, Cabling through wall requires mechanical protection (This is actually part of the fire system) - Code 2

2, Neutral cover missing from within panel - Code 2

3, DB is very difficult to access (It is easy to access, but you need a step ladder) - Code 2

4, DSO unswitched, no local isolation - Code 1

5, Screw missing from neutral bar cover - Code 2

6, Unfixed connections in light switch (There is a connector block in the light switch with neutrals in it) - Code 2

7, No cross bonding to sinks - Code 2

8, Incorrectly sized cable clips used for flex - Code 2

9, Fuses rewirable, should be replaced - Code 2

10, Redundant cable in trunking, should be removed - Code 2

11, Floating connector blocks in DB - Code 2

Thoughts people...

Your car parked on double yellow-code 1
as said sounds like their looking for work !
Just out of intrest any code 3s or 4s ?
Regards
Kung.

1. Code 4.
2. Code 2.
3. No code required
4. Sorry dont know what you mean by DSO,...if its a double socket outlet, then No code required.
5. Code 4.
6. No code rquired.
7. Sinks are not usually bonded..pipes can be supplementary bonded if in a special
location..bathroom etc. [4]
8. Code 4.
9. No code required.
10. No code required.
11. Code 4.

...All above are ,of course ,open to disciussion.

spark1.

Reply to Inspection and Testing Questions in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock