Discuss Inspection and Testing. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Stuy

-
Reaction score
Hey All
My company are due for there 3 year (Industrial) fixed electrical test. An initial full test was done on about 20 DB's 9 years ago then 1/3 of every board has been tested every 3 years since. I thought that a full test would have to be carried out on each DB every 3 years unless 1/3 of every board was tested yearly. Some info on this would be appreciated. Thanks

So you had 100% done initially and then three years later 33% of each board, do you know who decided this.

You do not specify the nature of your company but it might be expected if it is not too onerous an environment that a recommendation for a frequency of inspection and testing would be five years.
It is possible that the initial inspection revealed a quality installation and that the retest frequency was raised to nine years (the frequency recommended would have been noted on that initial report).
It is also possible that you have specific maintenance procedures in place that address any defects noted in the electrical installation and a decision was made that the formal frequency of inspection and testing could be modified to one third every three years.
There are a lot of possibilities available for variations in testing frequency but without some knowledge of the installation and company then there would be no way to tell the specific arrangements.

So you had 100% done initially and then three years later 33% of each board, do you know who decided this.
Thanks for your reply westward10. Yes 100% done as it was a new installation for my company moving into the factory. 33% was then done every 3 years which means there will be circuits in the DB's that have not been tested for 9 years. We received a quote from the company that have been carrying out the testing which showed 33% done each year for 3 years yet before they were doing 33% every 3 years. Another company have said a full test needs to be done as no test has been done for 3 years. So we have contradicting quotes

You do not specify the nature of your company but it might be expected if it is not too onerous an environment that a recommendation for a frequency of inspection and testing would be five years.
It is possible that the initial inspection revealed a quality installation and that the retest frequency was raised to nine years (the frequency recommended would have been noted on that initial report).
It is also possible that you have specific maintenance procedures in place that address any defects noted in the electrical installation and a decision was made that the formal frequency of inspection and testing could be modified to one third every three years.
There are a lot of possibilities available for variations in testing frequency but without some knowledge of the installation and company then there would be no way to tell the specific arrangements.
Thanks Richard it is an industrial premises and a new wiring installation was carried out for my company moving in. We don't hold those original test certs so I don't know what was agreed. As I said to Westward10 doing 33% every 3 years leaves some circuits untested in our DB's for 9 years. There are no maintenance procedures in place for the electrical installation.

If the premises had a full inspection and test 9 years ago and more recent EICR have shown no major signs of deterioration or damage then there may be no need to 100% inspection and test at all DB's.

Periodic test frequency will ultimately be decided by the duty holder/holders, along with consultation from an electrical contractor. Additionally a risk assessment may be useful considering the following, type of installation, use/operation of installation, frequency of maintenance, previous EICR records and any external influences.

An example of what a risk assessment may conclude-
Every 3 years
100% non intrusive visual inspection of all DB's and accessories
Zdb testing at every DB
Sample testing of circuits at each DB (25%)
Thermographic survey at every DB, MCC, and main incomers.

Afterwards the results reviewed and frequency/testing methods adjusted to suit.

If the premises had a full inspection and test 9 years ago and more recent EICR have shown no major signs of deterioration or damage then there may be no need to 100% inspection and test at all DB's.

Periodic test frequency will ultimately be decided by the duty holder/holders, along with consultation from an electrical contractor. Additionally a risk assessment may be useful considering the following, type of installation, use/operation of installation, frequency of maintenance, previous EICR records and any external influences.

An example of what a risk assessment may conclude-
Every 3 years
100% non intrusive visual inspection of all DB's and accessories
Zdb testing at every DB
Sample testing of circuits at each DB (25%)
Thermographic survey at every DB, MCC, and main incomers.

Afterwards the results reviewed and frequency/testing methods adjusted to suit.
Thanks very much for posting Stspark much appreciated.

Reply to Inspection and Testing. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net