Discuss Inspection and Testing in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Systems, work activities and protective equipment
4.—(1) All systems shall at all times be of such construction as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, danger.

(2) As may be necessary to prevent danger, all systems shall be maintained so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, such danger.

(3) Every work activity, including operation, use and maintenance of a system and work near a system, shall be carried out in such a manner as not to give rise, so far as is reasonably practicable, to danger.

(4) Any equipment provided under these Regulations for the purpose of protecting persons at work on or near electrical equipment shall be suitable for the use for which it is provided, be maintained in a condition suitable for that use, and be properly used.

Can’t see anything there stating Inspection and Testing must be conducted.
Closest is Reg. 4-(2).

Is it against the law put the installation into service without inspection and testing ?
No one is going to send you to jail for it. But! if somebody has an accident or a near miss, or there is a fire or any other action which ends up in an investigation, then you could be prosecuted for breaching the E&WR regulations or H&S regulations (which are statutory) for not ensuring the system was safe to use. In which case, to verify that it is safe then an I&T is required in accordance with the current BS7671 regulations.

Never the less, I'm concerned that anyone would put into service an installation that has not been tested properly. The whole point of the testing is to prove that it is safe to use. No matter how confident you are that it is installed correctly, mistakes are made, equipment can be faulty... why would you potentially risks someone's life for the sake of a few hours testing??
Short cuts are what get people injured or worse killed!

Right, not got going yet..
Actually if you don’t test a system and it’s associated equipment you are failing to comply with 4(1) and 5,7 & 8.

Here’s a link to a 2012 judgment made in regards to DNOs not maintaining Cut Outs:
http://fy68w4dd72j1r1z33vbuky14-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/smith_-v-_edf.pdf
It was shown that the DNO’s had failed to inspect the cut outs, failed to adopt a program of replacement for aging cut outs and failed to keep adequate records of the type and age of cut outs in any given installation.
However, it could not be proved that inspection, replacement or keeping records would have prevented the fires.

That looks interesting, I shall have a read of that as soon as costa opens..
Slightly different scenario to that in question though..
There has been other cases where a lack of testing failed to show a lack of insulation, earthing and RCD protection

My 'old' copy of the eawr regulation 4(2) 8 states:
Regular inspection of equipment is an essential part of any preventive maintenance program, blah,blah.
and reg 4(2)9 states:
Records of maintenance, including test results, preferably kept throughout the working life of the electrical system. And goes on to say: Without effective monitoring duty holders cannot be certain that the requirement for maintenance has been complied with.

My 'old' copy of the eawr regulation 4(2) 8 states:
Regular inspection of equipment is an essential part of any preventive maintenance program, blah,blah.
and reg 4(2)9 states:
Records of maintenance, including test results, preferably kept throughout the working life of the electrical system. And goes on to say: Without effective monitoring duty holders cannot be certain that the requirement for maintenance has been complied with.
Yes, so this is the point! You won't get prosecuted for not doing an inspection and test unless someone in authority is going to go to the trouble of checking to see if you are following the BS guidelines in ensuring the electrical system is safe. BUT! if someone has an accident or there is any other investigation that resulted in the electrical system being at fault, then the person responsible will be liable and likely prosecuted if taken to court.
Its a bit like driving a car years ago with no MOT. Before there were digital checks people could quite easily drive their car with no MOT until it either came to tax it or you were stopped by the police for a producer or you were involved in an accident. Thankfully these days checks are more stringent and people cannot get away so easily with driving a dangerous vehicle.
This is where, in my personal opinion, electrical safety checks should be mandatory.
Any decent sparky knows the potential dangers of not testing a system before putting it into service!

I can't think of any good reason for the OP asking the question unless he has installed something without any testing, or (as per Anthony) he hasn't bothered filling in a cert.

OP - can you confirm why the original question is being asked?

Reply to Inspection and Testing in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock