Discuss inspection and testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

asad_h01

A good evening to all

I have recently passed my city and guilds 2392 and 2391 courses aswell as obtaining my part p and 17th edition cirtificates. If i wish to carryout inspection and testing do i need to be with a competent person scheme or can i just get hold of the cirtificates and schedules and undertake work doing inspection and testing.

Feedback would be much apprechiated.

You can download template certificates from the IET website or just photocopy them straight from the regs.

You only need to be registered if you carry out testing that falls under the scope of part P !

There is not much domestic testing that isn't covered under part P, the niceic supply pocket guide (to notify or not to notify) free of charge.

hope this helps

I would also add that you also should make sure that you have all the right insurances in place.

If you are registered to a scheme and wish to use their certs, then some of them change an additional annual fee.

i'm not sure what the 2392 is! but as you have qualifications you can do inspection and test yourself if you're under the nic umbrella the person to oversee it will be your boss! i have been testing now for over a year in schools, factories etc hope this helps

i'm not sure what the 2392 is! but as you have qualifications you can do inspection and test yourself if you're under the nic umbrella the person to oversee it will be your boss! i have been testing now for over a year in schools, factories etc hope this helps

The 2392 is a level 2 testing and inspecting course, that consists of 45 Question multichoice on line exam and a practical exam on single phase domestic type installation, if you have little experience of testing and inspecting then thispossibly the ideal course to do first, then once you have gained more experience then the 2391.

In simple terms using the driving test as a analogy, I think of the 2392 as the driving test and the 2391 as the advanced driving testing.

asad, I'm similar to yourself having recently achieved my 2330,2391 and 17th edition. Whilst doing the 2391 I bought the highly recommended Brian Scadden book"Inspection, Testing and Certification" which is great aid to the course. Page 4 refers to Part P and notifiable work and the diffenerent types of person conducting work. I think that we come under the "Qualified & compenent electricians to work and certify installations to BS7671 but not registered with an approved body".

Scadden then goes on to say that the local building control body has to be informed prior to commencement of notifiable work and then informed within 30 days of it's completion with all test results etc. Presumably they can go out and verify that the work and test results are to the regs.

Hope this helps.

Hi, 2392 afaik is the initial testing and inspecting cert, ie. new circuits, re-wires etc.
And 2391 again afaik is the above and pir's which requires more experience than the former.

I have the 2391 for many years now, and renewed it a couple of years ago.

trix why did you renew your 2391. Thought it last for ever. i just passed mine in feb. funny thing now is I lack real practical experience. especially on periodics.

My old 2391 is with my old 236 1&2, somewhere in the attic of my ex misses house.

With the work I do, it's just prudent to keep updated qualifications. And I like a challenge :)

I could use clarification on this as well. I have 2391 and extensive testing experience, factories, schools, hotels, restaurants etc. But the only qualifications I have are in Domestic installion, 16th edition (soon to be updated), 2391 and Applicable building regs. A friend of mine asked if I could provide a test certificate for him on his house.
Do I need to register with an approved scheme to actually do the testing? Or can I just copy a cert from the regs and fill in the results? Is carrying out a test deemed as nofiable work and if so why? Essentially no work is being carried out, only an assessment of existing wiring so I can't figure this one out. Let us know your thoughts oh wise magic 8 balls :)

I could use clarification on this as well. I have 2391 and extensive testing experience, factories, schools, hotels, restaurants etc. But the only qualifications I have are in Domestic installion, 16th edition (soon to be updated), 2391 and Applicable building regs. A friend of mine asked if I could provide a test certificate for him on his house.
Do I need to register with an approved scheme to actually do the testing? Or can I just copy a cert from the regs and fill in the results? Is carrying out a test deemed as nofiable work and if so why? Essentially no work is being carried out, only an assessment of existing wiring so I can't figure this one out. Let us know your thoughts oh wise magic 8 balls :)

Sad to say but anyone can do a PIR test, all you need to do copy a cert from the regs, or buy some generic certs from the internet, do the tests fill in the certs and hand one copy to your mate and you keep a copy..................you don't need to be with a scheme .......and it's not notifiable.........:)

But do make sure as Jason.S has stated,, have the relevent insurance, ie public indemnity !!

hi angry welshman

testing and inspection ( periodic inspection report ) is not notifiable even domestic dwellings .You can use test forms which you can down load for free from the iee web site as long as you are compitent which sounds like you are just get on with the job !!! but make sure you are insured ( indeminity) of course if you are testing a rewire in a domestic then yes part p comes in to play as it would of course need notifiying or use local borough building controle who may want to see your test results

hope that helps
Rich

Reply to inspection and testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock