Discuss Inspection help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

A colege d of mine asked me to inspect a work he has done in his bathroom. Some lights and maybe a socket as well. He would like me to inspect it and sign the required certificates for it.

Now, I am not a member of any organization like NICEIC or NAPIT so can I do that? But I am a qualified electrician with BS2391 and everything. And do I need to notify this work anywhere at all?

Oh, and how much would I charge him for this?

Thank you for the answers guys!

Zsolt

in fairness to my understanding. You cant sign off other peoples work. you can do a PIR on the property as such but then you would need to be a memeber of a body. You could get the council involved but it may cost you a bit £100 upwards. PIR prices can normally be around £150 region

maybe a socket as well.
be very careful with this it must be outside of zones ie v big bathroom

all installations require notification to local authority building control and must comply with bs 7671 and part p. if this is not done by someone who is registered with nic et al with full calibrated multi function test kit, 2M public liability insurance then labc need to be notified before works begin and after so they can inspect it for approx £250.

bristols right you can't sign off others work.
i'm afraid you have a little further to go before you can do this my friend

Lenny can you clarify. i thought PIR's on commercial or industrial was fine but in a domestic situation i thought you still had to be with a body.

Sure.

PIR's do not fall under the scope or Part P, therefore anyone deemed as "competant" can carry them out, membership of a scheme or notification to LABC are not necessary.

You can use the forms found in BS 7671 or on the IET website or the green NIC forms..

HTH.:)

Sign it off do a favour for a mate sure

just remember when the house burns down because of a faulty connection you didn't do, its your signature on the bottom of the cert :)

Reply to Inspection help in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net