Discuss Inspection pit lighting. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

amicus

Hi Been asked to look at installing lighting in an existing pit at a commercial repair garage.Any advice on the regs including h&s when i price this.I have not visited the site yet,and its not something ive worked on recently. Thanks

consider using 110V CT to earth lighting as well a vapor proof depending in the vapors present in the location + rcd as they get damaged easily as i found some in a yard in a poor condition with the cover's hanning off only advantage is that they were low voltage fed from a isolationg transformer.

Thank for that.Would piped,surface mounted vapourproof protected by rcd/rcbo be ok,or does this sort of job fall into flameproof teritory.

The only vapor that could be a problem wold be petrol. Try to recess them in as thing get drooped down the pit. The used of vapor proof one i have seen in a garage where the test wagon's with flammable substance in the tanker on the back. RCBO would be a must but ELV would give Best protection if they become damaged

Weather it fall in to flame proof teritory will depend on the work being undertaking and a Risk Assessment being completed to determine the risk

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you may have to use flameproof. If petrol vapour is likely to be present it will go to the lowest point, in this case the vehicle pit and then there is an explosion risk

Taken from another site

You want to get a copy of, read and understand Health & Safety Executive publication PM37 - Electrical installations in motor vehicle repair premises.

It also advises checking that your liability insurance covers you for working in that type of location

Yes There is quite a lot to consider.I will read that publication.The petol aspect is my main concern so worst case usage of pit needs be accomodated for.Thanks for the guidance.

Reply to Inspection pit lighting. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net