Discuss Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You are intent on doing it no matter what advice we give. Be interesting to know how you will adapt the busbar which is not designed for modification.
I never said I was intent on doing it! That's your assumption but hey we are all allowed to think what we like... I will consider your advise thanks.

Ok guys following your advice with sourcing used or new old stock and a chat with a retired Electrician, I have decided to have the CU converted to a double RCD unit. This is bearing in mind that the initial EICR recommended having the lighting put on an RCD circuit too.

We have found this RCCB on eBay, see photo, and have a photo of the CU with cover off. However, I have noticed that they look different despite the fact that the serial/product numbers on the RCCB's are the exact same. I cannot find another one like this and also there is a strange, non-switched, unit to the left of the RCCB with a L sticker on it. Is this a part of the RCCB or some other kind of device?

Thanks...

You can't convert these boards to dual RCD.

The busbar is factory fitted in the plastic casing and not accessible for future alterations. There is a gap in it where the RCD fits.
The live terminal block to the left of the RCD takes the live from the busbar to the bottom of the RCD, the RCD outgoing side connects directly to the second half of the busbar.
[automerge]1578689951[/automerge]
Rather than faffing with trying to alter your existing CU a better option would be to swap the entire CU, a bit more expensive, but far better in the grand scheme of things, good luck

Swapping the CU will be cheaper than doing what is necessary to add rcd protection to all circuits on this one.
However a new CU will be much lower quality than the existing MG unit, even the new MG boards aren't as good as those ones.

I’d swap the RCD for a switch and source some RCBOs.

Thank you Davesparks. An excellent explanation of why it can't be done.
I appreciate your input, very valued indeed.

Pete999
I will leave it as it is and leave the rewire and new CU to the possible new owner. Thanks for the good info.

STRIMA and DPG, you are driving me crazy...hahaha

Tell you guys what! Figure out between you what the best solution would be utilising the existing CU by using any means possible, new Busbars, RCBO's whatever, and I will pay for you to come and fix it for me!

Thanks once again...

No offence intended. I've had several pints so being a bit too vocal maybe. One of the guys on here would willingly offer their services I'm sure. Just be careful of Tel - he's a bit filthy. And davesparks can be a bit moody. But they are all good guys. Not being sexist there by the way - guys includes men and women to me. That's before sparky chick kicks off. Look at me - a bit merry and still punctuating like a God.

Mine' s a rum and coke. Ta.

My opinion is that the best thing would be to replace the mcbs with RCBO's.

If it was my house I'd be digging through our stores to find the RCBO's to do the job, I'm pretty sure I'd find everything needed in there somewhere.
[automerge]1578699577[/automerge]
Tell you guys what! Figure out between you what the best solution would be utilising the existing CU by using any means possible, new Busbars, RCBO's whatever, and I will pay for you to come and fix it for me!

Well if you're paying for transport, accommodation and food I'll do it.

I like my steak rare and my liquor strong!

If it were my house, I'd be perfectly happy to leave the electrical installation as it is, apart from either a like-for-like replacement of the faulty shower or a simple thermostatic mixer if the hot water system supports it, and consider whether the money saved would be more usefully spent on other things that could provide a greater reduction in risk, e.g. a shower mat, fire alarm system, a washing machine and tumble dryer that won't support a fire, a car with better NCAP rating, a non-slip path, a new house, etc.

If it were my house, I'd be perfectly happy to leave the electrical installation as it is, apart from either a like-for-like replacement of the faulty shower or a simple thermostatic mixer if the hot water system supports it, and consider whether the money saved would be more usefully spent on other things that could provide a greater reduction in risk, e.g. a shower mat, fire alarm system, a washing machine and tumble dryer that won't support a fire, a car with better NCAP rating, a non-slip path, a new house, etc.
Don't you think it would be a good idea to swap over the cooker circuit and shower circuit on the CU MCB's?
Thanks

Attachments

• Merlin Gerin Consumer Unit (4).JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Not at all Iain, common sense rules. Can't access your profile, So it would be wrong of me to assess your competency to make a comment like that, and no, I'm not looking for an argument or a fight, looks like you are though, sorry for spelling your name incorrectly by the way.
I have no idea where my competency would be... but I am no novice! I have updated my profile especially for you!

Reply to Inspection Report, Electric Shower, Merlin Gerin and Schneider MCBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net