Discuss Inspection & Testing question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi looking to do the 2391 Inspection and testing course after recently passing the 18th after being off the tools for over 10yrs. Is it a good idea or will I struggle with it being off the tools for so long. Got over 80% for the 18th so I’m not overly daft? I’m currently looking at getting into building a portfolio of BTL properties and doing my own rewires and EICR’s, Kitchens/Bathrooms etc, problem I’ve got is in between sourcing properties I’ll not be probably not be working for a few months, so was thinking of doing T@I in between times as I‘m not really interested in working with agencies/firms doing the 8 till 6 stuff. Do any other sparks on here get part time/extra work for testing and EICR’s only or would I need to set up my own company and go looking for testing work. I’m based in Glasgow and given my relative inexperience in
T and I would it be money well spent or would I be ----ing against the wind looking for part time T&I as I’m not looking to do a 40 hr week any more. Any info or advice would be great. ?

if you are competent to T&I and produce reports, the 2391 is just a paper qualification that may be requested by clients. make sure you have PI insurance though.

if you are competent to T&I and produce reports, the 2391 is just a paper qualification that may be requested by clients. make sure you have PI insurance though.
Yeah its just getting the part time work that suits me. If some agencies etc said “we’ve got 4 eicr’s this week if you want them” that would be ideal. Just don’t want to be tied down to a company or an agency that wants you to work all hours and weekends. Don’t know if there’s many that work like that. Think I might just go for it and see where it takes me.

If you're competent and knowledgable enough to carry out detailed EICRs then surely you will be able to pass the 2391 anyway? Might be a good refresher after that many years out of the game also.

If you're competent and knowledgable enough to carry out detailed EICRs then surely you will be able to pass the 2391 anyway? Might be a good refresher after that many years out of the game also.
Do I not need the 2391 to do EICR’s? Is doing EICR’s another course altogether? I’m confused, been out the game that long. ??

Do I not need the 2391 to do EICR’s? Is doing EICR’s another course altogether? I’m confused, been out the game that long. ??
to do EICRs you need to be competent. that's the keyword. having the 2391 is just a backup to "prove" competence if anything ever came to court.

Reply to Inspection & Testing question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net