Discuss Inspection - too harsh?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jjnr78

IMG_1236.jpgIMG_1235.jpg
I attended an inspection of an office and workshop last week. There were quite a few issues, but I was intrigued by the issues depcited in the photos. They had 4, 3phase machines (saw, drill, grinder, plane) which were wired into only 2 isolators (and 2 circuit breakers). they did have emergency stop buttons on all but the grinder. 2 machines that were in the middle of work shop were wired from the isolators using steel conduit finished with beezer boxes that just stuck out from the floor! They then had an early style kopex (stell braided flex) which is no freyed at the box and machine end for the connection. One had a loop of braided flex from the wall to the machine and the users had stood acros either side that could have fallen and pulled the connection clean out. In old money I would class this as a code 2, do you agree? How would you remedy the issue? I've thought about building a more substantial structure and mounting individual isolator at a high level with less strain and trip hazard!:confused5:

I am not a lover of the H+S mania that pervades society nowadays, but when stupidity rules,the sledge should be used to crack the smallest of nuts,this is one of those small nuts

Leaving aside the electrical issues
At least 3 of the machines can have serious consequences because of the trip hazzard of the install method

You could conclude that persons using the installation are at immediate risk
That would be the case if the machines are in use,take away the supply and the risk has gone

They could have easily construct a wooden plinth around that workspace for self protection
Code C1 could even be appropriate

Totally agree with Des I am the first to say if I think its a Jobs Worth but in this case I would be saying to the owner look you have got away with this for years and you are lucky no one has been hurt so I would advise that the supplies are properly run,protected and connected and if he came back with the well I may want to move some of my machines line well now your chance to re-organise your workshop because you cannot have 3 phase supplies looking like washing lines on a good day and a death trap on the other

I remember years ago, I was asked to conduct a PIR on a food production line that had a bowl chopper.
Although not directly a part of my inspection I noted that the electro mechanical break mechanism wasnt working.
So if you lifted the lid to the bowl chopper the blades continued to rotate.
I coded the observation as a 1, making the install unsatisfactory, although 2 would have done likewise my choice. The boss gave me a hard time over this saying the company suppplied us with a lot of work. And the mechanical condition of the machine was not relevent to the electrical installation.
Two weeks later I was asked by an injury lawyer if I could be present as a witness to the fact that an operative had lost two fingers. I never had to attend as it happened but I am glad I stood by my decision.
Your thread very much reminded me of it.

Just found the info, The machine was an Alpina, and it was July 1989.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Inspection - too harsh?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net