Discuss Install plug on hob extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

popgod

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
When we had the electrics installed for our new kitchen (few months back) we were advised by the electrician at the time to just add a standard plug to the wire of the hob extractor fan (once it was installed).
I have finally come to do this, but would like confirmation that it is safe and correct to do so.
Firstly the unit is intended to be hardwired I believe (as there was no plug top on the wire) and the wire only has the live and neutral wires in it - no earth cable. I have added the plug top, wiring it correctly, but without an earth. I have not plugged it in though yet.
I also notice that there is an earth symbol on top of the metal case of the unit. But I'm not sure what this means. Whether I'm meant to somehow earth it at this point. Or that it is already earthed (if that is possible). Or doesn't require earthing,
I would appreciate any advice to ensure it is safe to plug in. Or what I need to do to make it safe
I've added a few pics to illustrate.
Many thanks

TL;DR
Can I add a plug top to a hardwired wire for a cooker extractor fan?
The wire only has a live and a neutral

Attachments

• IMG_1526.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2651.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5322.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 32
Many hob extractor units are class II (double insulated) and don't require an earth.

Check the manual, it should tell you.

If the extractor hasn't got the double insulated (2 squares) symbol then it needs an earth.

Is that a 13A fuse in that plug?

Update: SJD got there before me!

Its a 3amp fuse. I read somewhere that would be required instead of 13amp.
But then got confused by the advice, and what is/isn't safe

I have just read in the manual that the appliance is "class I and must be earthed".
Also that it should use a "double pole switched fused spur outlet with a 3amp fuse"

So can someone please advise if the plug with a 3amp fuse is ok to use. And if it is, how I earth the unit?

Many thanks

It is curious if the appliance came with a cable already attached that is only 2-core, if 3-core cable is required instead (that is how you would expect to earth it). What make/model is it, and was it bought in the UK for UK use?

Reactions: DPG
It is possible that is a generic case for different models. The lower entry below your cable looks larger indicating it may be for a larger three core cable for an earthed appliance plus the earth terminal mark has no stud through the hexagonal hole. Can you show it's rating plate.
That fuse from its colour looks 13A.

I'm afraid I can't find a rating plate anywhere on the unit.
I can check the fuse and replace if required, to the advised amp

Have you checked inside, i.e. remove the grille/cover (the grille/cover the air is sucked into), for a rating plate?

Thanks, yes it was inside. Please see photos

Attachments

• IMG_6624.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6101.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 32
That fuse definitely looks brown ie. 13A. Might just be a trick of the light I suppose.

I thought it was a 5Amp fuse, but as others say, a 3 will suffice. (Red coloured).

Plug top does need an Earth pin put in though, and the flex sheath pushed under the cord grip a little more. Looks like it’s only half way under and may slip out.

Reply to Install plug on hob extractor fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net