Discuss Install RCD Or Not in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

geordie

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
Just got off the phone with a very confused customer. Who is looking to have 8 sockets added to there living room. Board is old style wylex.
I said that they may need to have a rcd installed to which I got the last electrician was just going to put it down as a advisory on a mwc.
Now I have just got the new bgb and have been looking though it. And I it says on reg 411.3.3 that rcd proctection by rcd for sockets-outlet circuits not exceeding 20A.
I am sure that I am right just after someone elses opinions.

Yes, general socket outlets should be RCD protected.
I had this argument last week with a customer. the last sparky he had in had fitted a new socket, and a spur off it a couple of years ago. I said I couldnt add any more without them being either RCD socket outlets, or have them off an RCD spur unit.

Up to you, either RCD sockets, RCD spur, or add an extra CU with RCD protection for that circuit.

You would have to fit an RCD. Depending on what way you cable it will depend on if you have to fit the RCD at the CU or you can use RCD sockets.

cables are to be run in walls .Thanks guy you have help me clear that up. Now to explain it to the customer. I would go down the route of installing a small cu just for the sockets.

Yes Hawk81 is quite right to point that out. If you are wiring the new sockets in surface trunking then you wont need RCD for the cabling and could install rcd socket outlets as per REG.522.6.101(iv) regarding cabling, but if your chasing cables in wall then you unless you meet the requirements of REG 522.6.101 (i),(ii),(iii) then you'll need RCD protection on both cabling and sockets as per REG 522.6.102 hope that helps.

Sounds as if the other Sparky was a bit of a chancer.
Ther's no way you could issue a MWC stating your work complies with BS7671 and put lack of RCD protection down as an advisory (whatever that is).
What you first need to determine, is whether the socket-outlets require RCD protection. Are they intended for general use by ordinary persons?
If the socket-outlets are for specific purposes, then RCD protection is not required.
Then you have to consider installation methods, and the type of wiring.
You could run the wiring on the surface, or run it in earthed conduit or trunking, provide adequate mechanical protection, or use a cable such as flexishield. Any of which would not require RCD protection for the cables.
Of course, it may just be a case of replacing an MCB with an RCBO.

Just done a bathroom with UFH lighting etc.

Client didnt want to pay for a new CU so i installed a stand alone with just the circuits i worked on with an RCD main switch.

As long as YOUR work complies, you have nothing to worry about, ...apart from the customer :D

Sounds as if the other Sparky was a bit of a chancer.
You could run the wiring on the surface, or run it in earthed conduit or trunking, provide adequate mechanical protection, or use a cable such as flexishield. Any of which would not require RCD protection for the cables.
Of course, it may just be a case of replacing an MCB with an RCBO.

So could you install the cables behind earthed steel channelling

I do wonder why the other spark is not doing the job

So could you install the cables behind earthed steel channelling

I do wonder why the other spark is not doing the job
No not really, unless the chenneling can provide protection against the cable being pierced by screws or nails.
If it does offer such protection, then there is no requirement for it to be earthed.

Even if you use earthed channeling, the sockets could reasonably be used to supply equipment outdoors, so should have additional RCD protection IMO.

Regards wa

Reply to Install RCD Or Not in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock