Discuss installation certificate querry in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi all, blimey ive done some posting today!

right on me schedule of test results, ive got a 16a 60898 mcb going to a metal clad 20a dp isolator via 2.5 t&E, only about 1/2 a metre to the isolator. from then on its a 2 core 2.5mm swa to the garage consumer unit.

im re writting me test sheet due to changes anyway, but under type of wiring for the garage do i put F for swa or A for pvc/pvc? and on the circuit conductors csa box do i put 2.5,1.5 or 2.5, then what do you put for cpc when its the sheathing???

rich

well for your cable type i would put the armoured as it is the longest run but you got me stumped with the 2 core,i allways run 3 core and use one as the cpc .you dont like making life easy do ya.lol

Some daft sounding questions Rich

Is the garage integral or seperate from the house

What size breakers you got in the garage cu

believe it or not there is method in my madness

Tony

ha he no its all existing mate, was like this when she moved in. the swa came straight in to the board and the armorings were taken into a connecty block from there to the earthing bar. had to put a metal clad isolator in place to connect banjo's etc. thought that whatever comes out the board is what you refer to on the test sheet, but like you say i got 1/2m of 2.5 then 20m swa??

I also tend to use three core SWA for single phase but on small three phase, where a four core has been used and the armouring used for earth I put SWA in the CPC size. This has never been questioned by the ECA assessor. It is possible to get the CSA of the armours from manufacturers but different manufacturers use different size steel strands so it does not really help much.

If you are using this for your assessment they may question why it was done this way but if you explain what there was before I can't see too much of a problem. They might suggest that you could have run a short conduit from the cu to the metal clad box and extend the cables with singles.

This is where a seperate sheet for the garage comes in handy because the incoming cable is the SWA.

Check the mcbs in the garage and make sure that you do not have a 16amp there as they will "pull you" for no discrimination. Easy way round it if there is a 16amp in garage, change the mcb in the cu for a 20.

Good luck on Friday. Remember they are looking to see that you know what you are doing and how to do it. They will expect to find little odds and sods where interpretation comes in.

hi tony,
the metal clad switch is right next door to the consumer unit with a 2.5 t&e feeding it from the boards 16a mcb. i presumed that 1.5 cpc in the t&e would be ok.

in the garage ive got a 5 amp lighting and a 15 amp socket circuit.

when you say seperate sheet for swa do you mean a seperate schedule of test results sheet?

cheers

Sparkyork who are you going with,,,niceic?

If so they look for the top line of the schedule to be used for submain thats supplying a remote cu.
If I use 2 core swa & T/E on same circuit I put cable type as A/F & cpc as SWA.

RCD anywhere on the circuit?

then what do you put for cpc when its the sheathing???

have attached table of sizes of CPC when using armour, handy. dunno how you insert pics into message from comp.

christ, tried to look at it, is tiny. if you want better size can email it :)

Attachments

• installation certificate querry SWA CPC Sizes - EletriciansForums.net
    SWA CPC Sizes.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
cheers grae., manages to zoom in a bit, think a 2.5 swa has about 17mm cpc if read it right.

easyfox, yeah hopefully with the nic, on the main schedule above the black line ive got meter tails, then going along filled in the 1361 iib and all that. so if i do a seperate schedule of test results for the garage, if i put garage consumer or DB2 then type of wiring = A/f, whats ref method for buried in the ground? (dont know if its in conduit) max disconnection .4? , etc etc

the garage is fed from a 16A 60898 via a 30mA RCD.

also just realized as well that ive used an old 16th set of sheets for this job. is that really such an issue when all the information is there??

rich

You could use the argument that the job was designed, priced and agreed before July 1, and can be done as 16th edition. But as regards the form differences, on the schedule of inspections it's mostly the same anyway, but you have additional tick boxes for verification of volt drop, verification of phase sequence and a box to write ADS in, and on page 3 it's pretty much the same apart from the box that asks final or distribution circuit.

If the job is to 16th rather than 17th then I think I'd be inclined to go with stating the job is to 16th because of the date it was accepted and designed etc. but be prepared to discuss the differences between old and new regs. As it's so early after the changeover (and the on site guides haven't even been printed yet!!) I think this is reasonable, and should be accepted. But that's just my personal opinion - and maybe others won't agree!

cheers, if i go for saying its 16th tho then ive gotta do supp bonding and aswell. got to much on to mess about with that aswell. i did the job on the 7/7/08 so its defo gotta be 17th. mights just re write them all on a 17th for the sake of preventing any problems.

rich

easyfox, yeah hopefully with the nic,

You'll be fine, I've had no problems to date & the assessors seem ok & approachable.

on the main schedule above the black line ive got meter tails, then going along filled in the 1361 iib and all that.

You will have all this info on the supply characteristics section, so why bother again.

if i put garage consumer or DB2 then type of wiring = A/f, whats ref method for buried in the ground? (dont know if its in conduit) max disconnection .4? , etc etc

Ref method D (laid directly in the ground or in ducting laid in the ground)
Dissconnection time (assuming 17th) 0.4 (circuit is not above 32a on a tn system. or if 16th 5 secs)

the garage is fed from a 16A 60898 via a 30mA RCD.

I bet a weeks wages one question you'll be asked will be "whats the max ocpd that could be used for this circuit"

also just realized as well that ive used an old 16th set of sheets for this job. is that really such an issue when all the information is there??

All the info will be there on the 16th sheets but if you say it's done to 17th, they will probably want to see 17th sheets I'm afraid.
Saying that not all the info will be there (incorrect info will be there) max Zs differs for starters ;)

Good luck on Friday, let us know how it goes.

max ocpd then that'll be 20a i think, ive used all the 17th maz Zs's etc but like you say its on 16th certs so i need to redo them on 17th ones.

Reply to installation certificate querry in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock