Discuss installation certificate questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
got a board change to do and theres a few problems i have, basically the cusotmer doesn't want to spend any more than the bare minimum so how do i record these on the sheets (if i can, do they need fixed immediately?)

1.the old cooker circuit (redundant, gas cooker fitted now) has been re-used when a shower was put in 2 years ago. basically it's been connected the the cooker connection unit and ran to the shower room and connected up. so the shower isolator is above (directly above, 600mm up from the cooktop) the gas cooker and has been labelled up with a sticker saying "shower"

2.some of the downstairs lights (4 out of 6)have a very high R1+R2 (~10Ω) and access is difficult so not allowed to start investigating. i know it doesn't meet the regs, but is it dangerous? how do TT installations get away with having a 200Ω earth rod, disconnection times would be much worse there surely?

3 a few cables are not ran in zones, diagonal accross from ceiling to switch etc, some just dissapear and re-appear from the plaster in cupboards!

4. extractor fan fed from ring main? no isolator, not fused down

ideally i'd like to put it all right , but failing that i'd like to know if i can just do the board change and record these faults on the sheets

No 1. poorly done but as labelled up - no real crime tho.
2. will require further investigation - if the customer will pay
any existing faults in lighting will show up by tripping the new rcd's lol.
3. Poor , but not alot you can do about it so why worry , fitting rcd's will only make it safer so crack on....
4. this does need sorting - shouldnt be expensive though - only a spur and back box to fix.

Maybe state clearly that it's a CU change only and also list the deviations from the regs and the reg numbers...

Or also carry out an EICR and list them on this?

TT installations get away with high zs as the max zs allowable is 1667 ohms.

ive tested the lights, they seem fine, done insulation resistance all came back greater than 600Mohm

so regarding the high R1+R2 (and subsequently ZS will be too high) if the customer won't pay for me to rewire the downstairs lights how do i put that on the sheets?

and about the fan having no isolator, it's in zone 2 i think (low ceiling and right next to the shower), still a £20 fix? bathroom is all new too so not allowed to start bashing holes in the ceiling!

You just record the reading you measured on the test sheet - what else can you do ? fitting rcd's sort of solves the high Zs issue anyway

As for fan problem , well youre gonna have to look at fitting a remote fuse spur somewhere , its not safe to leave it running direct off the ring main

Last edited by a moderator:
ive tested the lights, they seem fine, done insulation resistance all came back greater than 600Mohm

so regarding the high R1+R2 (and subsequently ZS will be too high) if the customer won't pay for me to rewire the downstairs lights how do i put that on the sheets?

and about the fan having no isolator, it's in zone 2 i think (low ceiling and right next to the shower), still a £20 fix? bathroom is all new too so not allowed to start bashing holes in the ceiling!
maybe the Zs will be too high.....but think about why measured values of Zs are usually lower than Ze+R1 R2.......have you measured Zs?...

Reply to installation certificate questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net