Discuss installation certificate in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jasoncan1970

hi,im in the process of completing my first full rewire of a small 2 bed property .ive got city and guilds 2330,2391,17th edition qualifications but i am not registered with an installer scheme.would there be any issues with getting a registered installer to check the installation and provide me with an electrical installation certificate as i have been told there could be some problems,any information would be appreciated

only if he can "supervise" the installation, inspect 1st fix before cables are buried, then 2nd fix and testing/commissioning. otherwise, pay LABC £300 to do it . or... ignore part p and risk the wrath of the pen pushers.

hi , i have gone to second fix ,i cant justify the cost of joining an installer scheme yet as i dont do enough work,i was considering napit as they came into one of my college classes to sell themselves and they seem the most reasonable.ive got to get the installation checked asap as i need to move back in.the labc have suggested i find a registered installer to sign it off although there may be problems in getting one

hi , i have gone to second fix ,i cant justify the cost of joining an installer scheme yet as i dont do enough work,i was considering napit as they came into one of my college classes to sell themselves and they seem the most reasonable.ive got to get the installation checked asap as i need to move back in.the labc have suggested i find a registered installer to sign it off although there may be problems in getting one
oh aye?....lol
i guess you`v made your mind up then...
listen...use em as a way to notify ....ignore all the upsell rubbish they will try on with you...
so this means you wont need to go on a further course for carrying out ECRs and/or PAT testing or any other bolt-on rubbish they try and get you to buy/go on...
and forget about that useless bit of arse paper called the NAPIT2391....caus thats exactly what it is....just fit for.....

hi,im in the process of completing my first full rewire of a small 2 bed property .ive got city and guilds 2330,2391,17th edition qualifications but i am not registered with an installer scheme.would there be any issues with getting a registered installer to check the installation and provide me with an electrical installation certificate as i have been told there could be some problems,any information would be appreciated

You only have 2 options open to you:

1. Join a scheme

2. Notify and pay LABC

what about stroma? £250 for scam membership.

This begs a question of the OP, why start rewiring if you know about the certs and issues?

Its NOT just about the cert though. It the LABC and when houses are sold. Solicitors are picking up on this sort of thing more and more.

Don't bother getting it signed off just complete electrical installation cert. As long as you are competent and confident in your own work after all it's your house. Then before you sell get a cheap EICR done by someone else which should only cost a few pounds.

Last edited:
Don't bother getting it signed off just complete electrical installation cert. As long as you are competent and confident in your own work after all it's your house. Then before you sell get a cheap EICR done by someone else which should only cost a few pounds.

Twxt. I'm assuming you are not self employed and not reliant on work to feed your family.

Ah yes the voice of insanity arrives LOL

We all know part p is stupid, but can never understand people saying they can't justify the cost of the membership. You'll usually only have to complete about 5 or 6 notifiable jobs to make it worth the money. Thats unless you cant be arsed in following the rules like everyone else.

We all know part p is stupid, but can never understand people saying they can't justify the cost of the membership. You'll usually only have to complete about 5 or 6 notifiable jobs to make it worth the money. Thats unless you cant be arsed in following the rules like everyone else.

It probably because they don't have PL ins, calibration, and the necessary education

hi ,i mentioned the cost as i am working full time and dont do this for a living,i did my qualifications in college about 12 months ago so i am new to the industry.i am looking at becoming self employed on a part time basis to begin with.ive gone about it in the right way in my opinion,with getting the qualifications.im just trying to find out more info on a way i can get this sorted

your best way forward , as you are newly qualified, would be to get an experienced spark, who's registered with a scam, to do the job with you. 1. a rewire on your own is a pain in the arse. 2. you'l get it notified through his scheme provider. everyone's happy. OK, you'll not make as much, but you'll only be doing half the work.

Twxt. I'm assuming you are not self employed and not reliant on work to feed your family.

You are right, I'm not but I am and have been in the electrical industry as an electrician and later in electrical design/project management etc for many years. If you think I would notify and pay to let someone else inspect my work in my own home you dead wrong. I am qualified and competent to carry out my own work and issue the relevant certificates as required. Part P is a scam. Even the government have watered it down now because it does not work. All it has done is create hundreds of Electrical Trainee cowboy wanabees who have been on a short course because it has been sold to them as an easy industry to make money in. I have had them on my sites and also had to throw a couple off as their work was dangerous. Most have no previous experiance and come on here for advice to change sockets (but they can self certify). They are seen as legitimate because they are a member of a scheme. Part p has destroyed the electrian trade. I think that says it all.

You are right, I'm not but I am and have been in the electrical industry as an electrician and later in electrical design/project management etc for many years. If you think I would notify and pay to let someone else inspect my work in my own home you dead wrong. I am qualified and competent to carry out my own work and issue the relevant certificates as required. Part P is a scam. Even the government have watered it down now because it does not work. All it has done is create hundreds of Electrical Trainee cowboy wanabees who have been on a short course because it has been sold to them as an easy industry to make money in. I have had them on my sites and also had to throw a couple off as their work was dangerous. Most have no previous experiance and come on here for advice to change sockets (but they can self certify). They are seen as legitimate because they are a member of a scheme. Part p has destroyed the electrian trade. I think that says it all.
some of your post , not all but some has merit, I likey :icon14:, very enjoyable and your right regarding the Electrical Trainee, it is now 7 days by the way which is even more comical LOL

this has always been a tough one to call and will never be resolved in any forum discussion because it polarizes the 2 camps of electricians , which are

1. those who have bought into the whole part p industry and defend it and adhere to its rules trying to do things properly like Murdoch , because thats where he gets his living from , fair enough

2. the other camp are those like me & mechelec who are fully qualified but dont work in the domestic sector , but when we need to do the odd house bashing job we hardly feel obliged to jump through all the daft part p hoops just to do something we've been competent to do for 20 years +.

so whos right ?
no-one , the system sucks no matter which side of the fence youre on.

ultimately , i will continue breaking the law doing jobs for friends & family without notifying until a viable alternative is created which doesnt involve me paying the local authority £300 in fees to swop over a CU when i'm almost certainly more experienced than anyone they send to check over my work.

its a crazy crazy world ;-)

Yes I've got several years experience of house bashing as they call it on here ,so it's not exactly new to me,I just don't understand the legal stuff it seems everyone has a different view.ive got sparks who do the maintenance where i work and they got old qualifications I've never heard of.i spoke to one of them and he has tried the 2391 five times and he still can't pass it and yet he can do the job with his eyes shut

Reply to installation certificate in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net