Discuss Installation Drawings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bossian

So our H&S manager came back from a course last week and asked me do we have schematic drawings for the fixed installation, I said yeah....in my head!

I've been there 10 years and know all of the site electrics like the back off my hand, but there are no drawings. Thinking about what she said I thought maybe I could possibly sort something out. So had a look around and there's a good range of CAD software from basic up to AutoCAD Electric, but all seem to be about machine style diagrams. Also, I have no CAD experience, but IT/PC savvy.

Just wondered if any of you guys have any recommendation? Something that is geared up more up to building wiring, that don't need a pilots licence to operate!

Depending on your skill levels autocad electrical is a good bit of kit, but a lot of people find it really hard to get used too.
But i suppose it is like anything in life if you put the effort in you will get used to it.
Tony is the man regarding Drawings i would wait for him to pop in and get his opinion.

Tony uses AutoSketch, a basic version of autocad.

I myself use autocad electrical, although have used both. For most work AutoSketch will do everything you need.

You can get AutoSketch as a free download.

The version I have is 30+ years old for Windows 3.11. I've got used to it and can't see a reason to change now.

A lot of my drawings are mechanical.

I used the original autocad R1 under D0S 3 in 1987....We all sat in the drawing office, laughing at it. with comments like "I can draw it quicker" "this will never take off, takes too long to setup"............Now I would be lost without it.

be warned though when you print any drawings with a free i.e student or promotional autocad package around the border it writes "produced by an educational or promotional version" Even if the drawing you're looking at was drawn on the full version. the reasonis they offer CAD for free once you are on a college Course all you need is a college email address. Then you pay the big bucks, you can still get their viewer for free which is still quite good as it allows you to switch off layers .I started with autocad lt 2000 so simple and easy to use great to learn on , but nowhere near as good for features as Autocad Electrical,i have trialed it, now i want it,but cant justify it

To be honest with you, i'm amazed that this factory you are working for, is totally void of having any general layout installation drawings to start with!!

Reply to Installation Drawings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net