Discuss Installation Help and advice! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

luko123

Hi, I'm 17, currently studying a 2 electrical installation course at college at the moment. The college I go isn't the best for advice and help as all the tutors are mostly unhelpful.

I really need some proper advice because this will outcome my future and don't know if I have taken the right course.

1) What type of jobs can you do with installation and what type of companys can you work for?

2) If you are qualified as installation can you also do engineering?

3) what type of jobs can you do, doing engineering?

would really appreciate some answers because I need to know whether i should do engineering or installation.

thanks

p.s which one would you say the most money is in?

Last edited by a moderator:
by engineering do you mean maintenance electrican? ie troubleshooting electrical machinery and logic controllers etc, if so i have trained ex installation sparks to become maintenance engineers in industrial settings and it is generally quite a difficult change as its becoming more and more electronics biased. on the flip side, i know young time served maintenance electricians who i wouldnt trust to wire a 13amp plug( thinking it was cooler to cheat in college).
the one thing in common the inst sparks we have taken on was they were excellent candidates at interview and had the capacity to make the transition. also be prepared to learn the skills of a mechanical fitter as a lot of companies no longer state a preference when advertising jobs as long as you can do both, ha ha.
finally, if this doesnt answer the your question, sorry for waffling

to be honest mate id start where you are now and get to know the fundamentals of electrics. its all down to you bud, if like me you like working with your hands and been practical then stay with installation. if you like reading drawings and getting involved with technical issues then engineering could be the way to go.

Reply to Installation Help and advice! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net