Discuss Installation help UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BobcatBob

DIY
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi folks,
I just have a few quick wiring questions I could do with some help with please.
I'm in the UK.

Following advice on here and other places
I'm changing a couple of rooms from 12v halogen gu5.3 to 230v LED light fittings.
There currently is this round connector linked to the live & neutral of the old 12v transformer.

Installation help UK IMG_20220728_141150 - EletriciansForums.net

My new LED light fittings have an earth connection too. So can I just directly connect the earth, black and red wires directly to the new light fitting, or is there a good reason to run a new piece of cable between the round connector and the new light fitting?

If connecting directly, and removing the round connector entirely, will that earth cable need a shielding sleeve to cover the bare wire when connecting to the light fitting? Installation help UK IMG_20220730_113345 - EletriciansForums.net

Installation help UK IMG_20220730_113425 - EletriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes..

Take off the round joint box. The push in connectors of the light fitting are designed for solid core conductors, which is what the red/black are.

A little bit of green/yellow sleeving on the bare earth wire, which should have been there already.

Make the red/black as short as possible(2-3cm). The box lid should be able to fold over, clip shut and actually grip the grey outer sheath of the cable.

OP
B

BobcatBob

DIY
Reaction score
Yes..

Take off the round joint box. The push in connectors of the light fitting are designed for solid core conductors, which is what the red/black are.

A little bit of green/yellow sleeving on the bare earth wire, which should have been there already.

Make the red/black as short as possible(2-3cm). The box lid should be able to fold over, clip shut and actually grip the grey outer sheath of the cable.
That's great, thank you mate 👍

Yeh, I did wonder about that long length of bare earth wire... Seemed a bit of a casual installation.

Reply to Installation help UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net