Discuss Installation help UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BobcatBob

DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I just have a few quick wiring questions I could do with some help with please.
I'm in the UK.

Following advice on here and other places
I'm changing a couple of rooms from 12v halogen gu5.3 to 230v LED light fittings.
There currently is this round connector linked to the live & neutral of the old 12v transformer.

IMG_20220728_141150.jpg

My new LED light fittings have an earth connection too. So can I just directly connect the earth, black and red wires directly to the new light fitting, or is there a good reason to run a new piece of cable between the round connector and the new light fitting?

If connecting directly, and removing the round connector entirely, will that earth cable need a shielding sleeve to cover the bare wire when connecting to the light fitting?IMG_20220730_113345.jpg

IMG_20220728_141150.jpg

Yes..

Take off the round joint box. The push in connectors of the light fitting are designed for solid core conductors, which is what the red/black are.

A little bit of green/yellow sleeving on the bare earth wire, which should have been there already.

Make the red/black as short as possible(2-3cm). The box lid should be able to fold over, clip shut and actually grip the grey outer sheath of the cable.

Yes..

Take off the round joint box. The push in connectors of the light fitting are designed for solid core conductors, which is what the red/black are.

A little bit of green/yellow sleeving on the bare earth wire, which should have been there already.

Make the red/black as short as possible(2-3cm). The box lid should be able to fold over, clip shut and actually grip the grey outer sheath of the cable.
That's great, thank you mate 👍

Yeh, I did wonder about that long length of bare earth wire... Seemed a bit of a casual installation.

Reply to Installation help UK in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net