Discuss Installation is in fair condition and to comply to current Regs would require a rewire/upgrade. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

The Ghost

The above statement was made in an EICR which I was asked to look at. In my opinion they are on the wrong side of Trading Standards to suggest that an installation should be re-wired because it is not up to current regulations. If it is safe then I would not suggest to a client they must have a rewire to make the installation comply with current regulations. I feel that would be a misleading statement and would not comply with GN3 and so on.
What are your thoughts about this.
Of note; 40a MCB on 6mm cable. Two circuits had readings below 1 Mohm.
I suspect that may be a neon or some such thing. I could be wrong. They were marked as C2 rather than F.I.

Does it have Rcd protection?

Too many cowboy landlords risking lives to save a few quid on a new consumer unit.

If you are going to suggest a rewire then the content of the Report would have to be such that carrying out remedial works would not be a viable option and that a rewire whether partial or completely is of greater benefit.

It doesn't appear to comply with the current regulation, but does it comply with an earlier edition? can you identify the date when the install, addition or last electrical work was done? this can then be verified as safe compared to that edition.
However, renting a property brings its own problems because you now have a duty of care towards your tenents

The above statement was made in an EICR which I was asked to look at. In my opinion they are on the wrong side of Trading Standards to suggest that an installation should be re-wired because it is not up to current regulations. If it is safe then I would not suggest to a client they must have a rewire to make the installation comply with current regulations. I feel that would be a misleading statement and would not comply with GN3 and so on.
What are your thoughts about this.
Of note; 40a MCB on 6mm cable. Two circuits had readings below 1 Mohm.
I suspect that may be a neon or some such thing. I could be wrong. They were marked as C2 rather than F.I.
so.....it has a couple of low IR readings. FI is the answer. as for the rest, any C1's or C2's would advise remedial works.otherwise, tell then to FO.
s

I do not think they are suggesting the installation must be rewired, they have after all described it as 'fair', they are stating that to comply with current regulations remedials or rewiring will be required, which is undeniably a fact.
However if a statement like that is made on the EICR it should be clarified by making it clear that there is no requirement for an existing installation to comply with current regulations if it complied with the original requirements when it was installed, as long as code 1 or 2 defects are rectified without delay.
I cant really see any 'Trading standards' breaches here at all.

I cant really see any 'Trading standards' breaches here at all.
As I said, on the wrong side of Trading Standards requirements. Not a breach but not far away from one. The way that is written would be taken by the average person as it needs to be rewired to comply with current regulations and therefore we should get it rewired. However while it is true to say it would need rewiring to comply with current regulations it should have been qualified with the fact that there is no need to bring to current regulations only to rectify stated problems with the current installation would produce a satisfactory report. It is misleading by omission of that qualification in my opinion and there you are on the moot side of whether that is a breach or not.

Reply to Installation is in fair condition and to comply to current Regs would require a rewire/upgrade. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock