Discuss Installation of a Microgeneration unit. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That is a really interesting article.
It was interesting to read on page 12 (essential criteria that must be met) ii) that the use of a plug and socket is not allowed for connection.

There are systems advertised on the market, and B&Qs old system that use this method of connection.

hello lenny, thanks for the info, first time i've posted on this site ! (hope i've done this right ). many thanks guys ,excellent forum and entertaining too. I appreciate the efforts you all must make for a forum like this to exist. hugely informative and good to know that there are real experts out there , willing to talk about anything ! cheers

Been told everywhere, that you CANOT connect to existing circuits, seems to be ok from them?????

From what I can make out it it is to do with the potential for a fault current on the microgeneration side cancelling out a fault current on the supply side and balancing up the rcd.

A 20mA earth leakage on the micro side is fed back towards the rcd and meter whereas a 20mA leakage on one of the domestic circuits is fed away from the rcd and meter

Been told everywhere, that you CANOT connect to existing circuits, seems to be ok from them?????

Im under the impression its to do with CCC of cable. Eg:

16A radial circuit, you have a couple of 2000w fan heaters plugged into it and the PV Generation unit producing 8amps.

now you have 17Amps(ish) running through your circuit, but the MCB only picking up 9Amps, as the other 8 amps coming from PV, now the circuit is not protected from overload!

Please correct me if im wrong!

Re issue of the above, 09-11.

Hello Lenny and thanks to all involved in the forum for making available such a useful resource.

Post 9 of this thread refers to an updated version of the good practice guide but the link does not display, a least on my computer. Is this a problem at my end or is it not there?

This document dates from 2007 - five years old. it may no longer be current.
Hello Lenny and thanks to all involved in the forum for making available such a useful resource.

Post 9 of this thread refers to an updated version of the good practice guide but the link does not display, a least on my computer. Is this a problem at my end or is it not there?

Hi YPB!!!!! Same is the case with me, I think it has been removed by Lenny since the article was same as the one given in the first post. So, lets wait if there is any updated version to be attached.

Reply to Installation of a Microgeneration unit. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net