Discuss Installation of home charging point for electric car. in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all.

I have been asked to quote for an electric car charging point. The customer has specifically asked for a 32A commando socket to be fitted.

I have not fitted a home charging point before and was hoping to hear how some of you guys had done it as reading literature on it there seems to be varying ideas.

I have not been to see the customer yet although I 'think' his present earthing system is a TT as I have been there before. If I am wrong and it is PME am I right in thinking that the charge point would need its own seperate TT (if the charge point is outside)? This is what is mentioned in a copy of Wiring matters.

I would put it on its own dedicated circuit on a 32A type B MCB and if no RCD protection would provide it.

Cheers.

Ps.. I will get around to changing my avatar back!!! But at present GLENN I cannot find the previous picture that I used, i'll get you back one day :13:

Evening all.

I have been asked to quote for an electric car charging point. The customer has specifically asked for a 32A commando socket to be fitted.

I have not fitted a home charging point before and was hoping to hear how some of you guys had done it as reading literature on it there seems to be varying ideas.

I have not been to see the customer yet although I 'think' his present earthing system is a TT as I have been there before. If I am wrong and it is PME am I right in thinking that the charge point would need its own seperate TT (if the charge point is outside)? This is what is mentioned in a copy of Wiring matters.

I would put it on its own dedicated circuit on a 32A type B MCB and if no RCD protection would provide it.

Cheers.

Ps.. I will get around to changing my avatar back!!! But at present GLENN I cannot find the previous picture that I used, i'll get you back one day :13:

have a look at 722.411.4.1 and the whole of section 722 is worth a read. page 279 BYB

Are you installing a charger or just a socket to feed a charger?
The RCD requirement is a different type to the usual RCD so even if there is already RCD protection you'll probably need to provide additional protection

I would highly recommend the Rolex chargers, very good, they have a built in RCD too. Nice bit of kit.

when you quote or buy one, find out what car is going on it as you will need to know which type it is, Tyoe 1 or Type 2, it depends if it's Japanese or European.

HHD, I've fitted a few and know what im doing with them.

The RCD requirement is a different type to the usual RCD so even if there is already RCD protection you'll probably need to provide additional protection

My title should have been accurate. The client has specifically asked for the commando socket so I'm assuming he must have the charger that's intended to be used.

Then that will tell you which type of install it is when you look at the appropriate section in the regs.
From there you can read the requirements for your install

I would highly recommend the Rolex chargers, very good, they have a built in RCD too. Nice bit of kit.

when you quote or buy one, find out what car is going on it as you will need to know which type it is, Tyoe 1 or Type 2, it depends if it's Japanese or European.

HHD, I've fitted a few and know what im doing with them.

I've read a little about the different types of charging systems however this chap is just asking for the 32a commando socket. Do you always fit the charger UK or have you sometimes just been asked for the electric point as the car has an on-board charger as Dave mentioned?

This may be for an 'on board' charging system perhaps ?

I'm guessing it must be Dave. The client is very articulate and knows what he wants but I'd like some more info.

I have always fitted a charger with the correct outlet for a car, I'm not aware of an option that would allow you to connect a car to a 32A commando socket, it doesn't seem right.

all EV cars as far as I am aware have a type 1 or type 2 inlet and you need a suitable lead, and non or them go to a commando socket, I would 100% clarify exactly what it is is being plugged in.

yes 722.531.2.101

That could be interesting to accomplish if the CU is a dual RCD board. 722.531.2.101 states protected 'individually' by an RCD! You could easily add another RCD to protect just that point (to meet the reg) but then theres no discrimination so it would be pointless.

Last edited:
That could be interesting to accomplish if the CU is a dual RCD board. 722.531.2.101 states protected 'individually' by an RCD! You could easily add another RCD to protect just that point (to meet the reg) but then theres no discrimination so it would be pointless.

That is one of the problems with dual RCD boards.
You cannot add another RCD as you suggest because then it would not be protected individually, the RCD at the cu would still be shared.
You will have to come from a non-RCD way or a seperate CU.

I have always fitted a charger with the correct outlet for a car, I'm not aware of an option that would allow you to connect a car to a 32A commando socket, it doesn't seem right.

all EV cars as far as I am aware have a type 1 or type 2 inlet and you need a suitable lead, and non or them go to a commando socket, I would 100% clarify exactly what it is is being plugged in.

A 13A socket to bs1363 or an interlocked commando socket are permitted for AC supplies for charging.

Reply to Installation of home charging point for electric car. in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock