Discuss Installation of SPD's either in existing C.U. or standalone be a notifiable job.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

looking for clarification on the status (notifiable/ not notifiable) of installing SPD's to existing installations C.U. or in a standalone enclosure.
many thanks
In England, there are only 3 things that need notifying:
A new circuit
A replacement consumer unit.
Additions or alterations in a room containing a bath or a shower.
thank you loz I am aware of what you stated, just wondered if the addition of a SPD is classed as notifiable as your adding MCB protection for the SPD and reconfiguring the C.U.

For example If you change the size of protective device for an existing circuit this is deemed notifiable.

So there are other instances where certain jobs are notifiable that are not listed in Document Part P.

Last edited:
thank you loz I am aware of what you stated, just wondered if the addition of a SPD is classed as notifiable as your adding MCB protection for the SPD and reconfiguring the C.U.

For example If you change the size of protective device for an existing circuit this is deemed notifiable.

So there are other instances where certain jobs are notifiable that are not listed in Document Part P.

Might be worth speaking with your scheme provider to see what they say?

I’d be interested to here the outcome, even though I’ve not encountered this scenario as normally just do them as part of a board upgrade.

Might be worth speaking with your scheme provider to see what they say?

I’d be interested to here the outcome, even though I’ve not encountered this scenario as normally just do them as part of a board upgrade.
I'm currently not registered with my scheme provider as I have been off work for some time, returning back next month. just getting my head round the changes for bs7671 18th edition amendment 2

I'm currently not registered with my scheme provider as I have been off work for some time, returning back next month. just getting my head round the changes for bs7671 18th edition amendment 2

If I get time this week I’ll phone mine up and pose the question to them to see what they say.

I’m in agreement with what’s been posted above for the same reasons though. 👍

As it's neither a final circuit, nor distribution circuit, I wouldn't notify it (but then I'm not registered, so it suits me to think that way 😆)
If it's in it's own enclosure in parallel, and has an OCPD and cables from CU going to it, I'd have to call that a final circuit really.
But if it's inline before the CU or within the box, then I wouldn't like to say!

Reply to Installation of SPD's either in existing C.U. or standalone be a notifiable job.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net