Discuss installation testers in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Metrel are cheap and also easy to use, but I think they're all pretty much the same. I've used Megger, Fluke, and Kewtech and none of them are hard to use.

Metrel are a pain of repetition with regards to pressing buttons. Plus they possibly have the worst test leads ever to have existed.

Fluke are better than they were, but the display is a little dull. Plus selecting between Ze, PEFC and PSCC is a bit of a pain for a learner.

Kewtech individual bricks are very good and will last an age, however they are a little basic. Kewtech multifunction testers have a good screen and are clear, however there have been occasional software issues. (Kewtech are my personal fav)

Megger are hard to fault. Their leads are easy to identify and the tester being able to to measure Ze with 2 leads is a plus. The self start continuity test is very useful indeed, as well as the self test for live tests. My mft1552 was nearly killed last week, so I am about to find out how their customer services is.

Last edited:
have used metrel and agree that the leads don't seem to last, and always have trouble zeroing the leads for continuity testing, sometimes doing r1r2 tests have to start again because leads aren't zeroed anymore, always have used fluke multimeters not had any problems, never used megger so haven't a clue about them. i know it has a lot to do with personal preference, has there ever been any sort of poll as to which is most reliable and ease of use?

Reply to installation testers in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net