Discuss Installed a bathroom vent/light and it trips! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey friends Installed the vent/light on 2 switches to function separately. The first switch operates the light and works fine. The second switch has 2 on/off switches. The bottom operates the vent/fan fine but the top operates nothing and trips the circuit when switched!! Maybe I wired wrong or I should change the switch? There are 2 14/2 romex wires running to the fan. I tied the whites together, ground together, blacks separately to switches, brown and grey I tied with the black going to vent/fan switch Please help
Pics:

Last edited:
It may help if you can post some pictures of the wiring at the switches and the vent/fan.

Now you've added pictures you can ignore this :)

Last edited:
Hey friends Installed the vent/light on 2 switches to function separately. The first switch operates the light and works fine. The second switch has 2 on/off switches. The bottom operates the vent/fan fine but the top operates nothing and trips the circuit when switched!! Maybe I wired wrong or I should change the switch? There are 2 14/2 romex wires running to the fan. I tied the whites together, ground together, blacks separately to switches, brown and grey I tied with the black going to vent/fan switch Please help
Pics:

Jangell you stated that you had 2 cables coming in the box and you tied all the whites together when in fact one of them whites was the switch leg. It is supposed to be marked with black tape but a lot of people that do electrical work don’t do it and I’m not going to call them electricians. Good luck

Reply to Installed a bathroom vent/light and it trips! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Need to replace an old Vent-Axia extractor fan as the pull chord no longer works. I bought this -...
Replies
Views
I am replacing a bathroom vent/light. The new vent box has the wiring on the opposite side of where I need it to be. Is there a safe way to add...
Replies
Views
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I currently have two switches in my bathroom. One controls the lights above the sink and the other controls a light above the toilet and...
Replies
Views
Looking for counsel / guidance to replace an original Dayton On/off with speed control switch. I’ve checked with a couple local electrical supply...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock