Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Installing 2 additional lights on an existing circuit in a warehouse. RCD Protection? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markthespark

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello all, I have been asked to install 2 new fluorescent lights in a Warehouse I will be looping off the nearest existing light as these are all going to be on the same switch.

My question is, do I need to provide RCD protection to this lighting circuit as I am altering it?

Many Thanks

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Re: Installing 2 additional lights on an existing circuit in a warehouse. RCD Protect

NO , YOU DON'T NEED rcd PROTECTION.

ackbarthestar

-
Mentor
Arms
Re: Installing 2 additional lights on an existing circuit in a warehouse. RCD Protect

As a rule of thumb, non-domestic lighting circuits do not require automatic RCD protection, but then it depends who is maintaining the electrical system on a regular basis and accessibility to the lights.

- - - Updated - - -

As a rule of thumb, non-domestic lighting circuits do not require automatic RCD protection, but then it depends who is maintaining the electrical system on a regular basis and accessibility to the lights.

ackbarthestar

-
Mentor
Arms

- - - Updated - - -

I only wrote this once and then along came a parrot........

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed

a norwegian blue, no doubt.

ackbarthestar

-
Mentor
Arms

More like a forumaticus gramtaticus.....

M

markthespark

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the replies, I am right in saying that it doesn't need RCD protection as this is a commercial premise and it's is likely to be used by skilled or instructed persons? Or is there another reason?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 26818

To start with, only circuits of locations containing baths or showers and those in agricultural/horticultural installations require RCD protection.
In other instances where RCD protection is required, the requirement is to protect cables concealed in walls, socket-outlets or mobile equipment used outdoors.
As you are not installing any of the above, there is no requirement for RCD protection.
The exceptions with regards to skilled/instructed persons apply to socket-outlets when they are intended to be used by such persons, or when their use is supervised by such persons.
With lighting and other circuits, the skilled/instructed person exception is when the installation is under the control of such a person.

M

markthespark

Thanks Spin, much appreciated.

No rcd required I would put clamp meter on first see what the lighting circuit is pulling before adding new fittings

Reply to Installing 2 additional lights on an existing circuit in a warehouse. RCD Protection? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
Top Bottom