Discuss Installing 2 additional lights on an existing circuit in a warehouse. RCD Protection? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markthespark

Hello all, I have been asked to install 2 new fluorescent lights in a Warehouse I will be looping off the nearest existing light as these are all going to be on the same switch.

My question is, do I need to provide RCD protection to this lighting circuit as I am altering it?

Many Thanks

Re: Installing 2 additional lights on an existing circuit in a warehouse. RCD Protect

NO , YOU DON'T NEED rcd PROTECTION.

Re: Installing 2 additional lights on an existing circuit in a warehouse. RCD Protect

As a rule of thumb, non-domestic lighting circuits do not require automatic RCD protection, but then it depends who is maintaining the electrical system on a regular basis and accessibility to the lights.

- - - Updated - - -

As a rule of thumb, non-domestic lighting circuits do not require automatic RCD protection, but then it depends who is maintaining the electrical system on a regular basis and accessibility to the lights.

- - - Updated - - -

I only wrote this once and then along came a parrot........

a norwegian blue, no doubt.

Thanks very much for the replies, I am right in saying that it doesn't need RCD protection as this is a commercial premise and it's is likely to be used by skilled or instructed persons? Or is there another reason?

Cheers

To start with, only circuits of locations containing baths or showers and those in agricultural/horticultural installations require RCD protection.
In other instances where RCD protection is required, the requirement is to protect cables concealed in walls, socket-outlets or mobile equipment used outdoors.
As you are not installing any of the above, there is no requirement for RCD protection.
The exceptions with regards to skilled/instructed persons apply to socket-outlets when they are intended to be used by such persons, or when their use is supervised by such persons.
With lighting and other circuits, the skilled/instructed person exception is when the installation is under the control of such a person.

Thanks Spin, much appreciated.

Reply to Installing 2 additional lights on an existing circuit in a warehouse. RCD Protection? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock