Discuss Installing 2 gang socket where boiler controls were located in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pilnet101

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

First time poster and keen DIYer here.

Seeking some advise/info about my current situation, moved into my house 4 years ago and straight away needed a boiler fitted (changed from a gravity fed system to a combi and had it relocated from the kitchen to the upstairs bedroom). After this was done the wiring where the FCU and boiler controls were was left a bit of a mess so a family member put a plate over wiring where the controls were and a 1 gang socket where the FCU was.

A few years have gone by now but I want to sort it, in terms of cleaning up the wiring and changing the 1 gang socket to a 2 gang. I'd consider myself compentent with basic knowledge (I.e. Isolate power, install new light fittings/sockets) but not an electrician by any stretch, so I'd imagine that I need to get an electrician in to take a look.

Before doing so I just wanted to get a feel for what I might be looking at here and the work involved, as well as if this is something I may be able to tackle myself. I've attached pictures of what it was like before with the boiler to what it looks like now.

Any advise appreciated!

Cheers,
Ell

Attachments

• 20160515_124425.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20160515_124414.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20191102-182054.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 37
Hard to say from the pictures.
It could really do with a tidy up on the left and the cables either removed or terminated nicely in the box
Once they are either removed or proved dead they could be tiled over.

The socket on the right hand side, is that supplied from its own circuit breaker in the distribution board (fuse box)?

If it is part of a ring circuit then it will probably be ok to change to a double.

If it is a dedicated boiler circuit, it depends on cable size feeding it as to wether there should be a socket mounted there at all.

This work may become notifiable to building control under part p depending on what you intend on doing because it Is in a kitchen.

This work may become notifiable to building control under part p depending on what you intend on doing because it Is in a kitchen.
no only a new circuit in a kitchen ,if the was a switch fuse spur was feeding the boiler from the ring ,by looking at the pic it feed the boiler time clock ,but I wish to see whats behind the socket that was put on .

@James the Spark1976, @buzzlightyear thanks for the reply.

Not at the house at the moment to check but I'm sure the right hand plug is on the same ring circuit as all the other downstairs sockets (when I get back ill flip everything off except the sockets to double check to confirm though).

When I get back I'll upload a pic of the wires behind the socket. In terms of first/next steps, take the plate off and then the tape and check what is live/dead? So if everything is dead it can be safely tiled over?

no, you can't tile over cables left live in a wall. best to get an electrician to test and fit a double socket ( if compliant).

It won’t be notifiable, it’s not a new circuit, and kitchen electrics have not been notifiable for at least 10 years.

Reply to Installing 2 gang socket where boiler controls were located in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net