Discuss ? Installing 2way switches into a outdoor socket circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

RW1957

-
Reaction score
As a newcomer here firstly I would like to say Hello to everyone.

I currently have a outdoor socket at the bottom of the garden (40ft from house).
This is supplied (on a radial) on a 20amp RCBO from the CU in the Garage.
I would like to run low voltage garden lights from this socket.

So here is my Question,
Instead of having to walk down the garden to switch the lights on and off when needed, is it allowed to install 2 x 2way (20amp rated) outdoor light switches into the circuit. 1 would be beside the backdoor and the other on the wall of the garage (approx halfway down the garden where the patio area is).

Welcome to the forum mate.
Why just not fit 1 isolator in the circuit.. much easier?
As I don't know your electrical knowledge, how would you wire up the two switches in your question above?

As a newcomer here firstly I would like to say Hello to everyone.

I currently have a outdoor socket at the bottom of the garden (40ft from house).
This is supplied (on a radial) on a 20amp RCBO from the CU in the Garage.
I would like to run low voltage garden lights from this socket.

So here is my Question,
Instead of having to walk down the garden to switch the lights on and off when needed, is it allowed to install 2 x 2way (20amp rated) outdoor light switches into the circuit. 1 would be beside the backdoor and the other on the wall of the garage (approx halfway down the garden where the patio area is).
Welcome to the forum mate.
Why just not fit 1 isolator in the circuit.. much easier?
As I don't know your electrical knowledge, how would you wire up the two switches in your question above?
It could be done, the caveat would be that it would need a lot of planning, upheaval in the garden and of course the cost of all the materials and labour, this will not be a DIYer's weekend project, needs to be installed by a qualified Electrician.
A question I forgot to ask, how is the outside socket wired? what type of cable, is the cable clipped direct or buried?

I'd agree with SWD and Pete999 - a bit optimistic for a DIY job, and a wireless switch/receiver system would be much easier and cheaper.

If you are going to have 2 way switching outside it can be done but you will have a hefty amount of cabling to rub or bury depending on your garden or set up. given the amount of time/labour involved and how much your electrician charges, you may find it more cost effective and better for future upgrades/additions to use a wireless switching system as already mentioned above.

Hi,
The circuit is as such,
10mm T&E from House CU through a straight run of 25 mm conduit which is fastened to the garden brick wall and through into the garage wall, then there is approx 8 inch of cable visible ( conduit ends), before entering the garage CU.
From garage CU 2.5mm T&E to an adaptable box where it terminated/connected to a glanded 2.5mm SWA, this then runs down inside of garage wall, through foundation, buried underground to the wall at bottom of garden where it reappears and then is glanded into the socket.

I was thinking of a switch live inside the adapter box (like a lighting circuit but using 2.5mm) then running down inside of garage wall, then through to the first switch which would be on the outside of the garage wall.
From this switch then run 2.5mm 3core & E back into the garage over and into the conduit, then pull this through to the House, then route around and out to a switch by the back door.

Is this method allowed?

Hi,
The circuit is as such,
10mm T&E from House CU through a straight run of 25 mm conduit which is fastened to the garden brick wall and through into the garage wall, then there is approx 8 inch of cable visible ( conduit ends), before entering the garage CU.
From garage CU 2.5mm T&E to an adaptable box where it terminated/connected to a glanded 2.5mm SWA, this then runs down inside of garage wall, through foundation, buried underground to the wall at bottom of garden where it reappears and then is glanded into the socket.

I was thinking of a switch live inside the adapter box (like a lighting circuit but using 2.5mm) then running down inside of garage wall, then through to the first switch which would be on the outside of the garage wall.
From this switch then run 2.5mm 3core & E back into the garage over and into the conduit, then pull this through to the House, then route around and out to a switch by the back door.

Is this method allowed?
Like I said Mate you need an Electrician to do this work

OK, rules & regs aside for the moment.

Am I missing something here.
The circuit to the socket is already there so no digging, burying etc.
The conduit from the house to the garage is so straight that if I shine a light at one end I can clearly see it from the other.

So it is basically, a wire from the adapter box to first switch, then from there through the conduit to second switch.

Am I missing something here.
The circuit to the socket is already there so no digging, burying etc.
The conduit from the house to the garage is so straight that if I shine a light at one end I can clearly see it from the other.

So it is basically, a wire from the adapter box to first switch, then from there through the conduit to second switch.
Mate, it has been pointed out several times to you that the works you require, needs to be installed by an Electrician, or go the route of smart control for your garden lighting requirement, and yet you don;t seem to have picked up on the complexity of work required to meet your satisfaction.

On the contrary, you seem to question every bit of advice given, regardless of which direction you chose, although you seem to be intent on taking the hard wired route, which needs the attention of a qualified person,it would be wrong to give step by step instruction, or agree to some of your ideas on how it should be done.

I can see that anything I personally suggest will be questioned by yourself, so to avoid any further confrontation I will omit myself from any further involvement in this thread.

Good luck and I hope you get you issue sorted quickly and safely.

Last edited:

Seriously..... Come on mate.. We give out no info without this.

I am a bear of little brains and long words bother me.... Please can you draw up the circuit you propose..

I seem to have upset you all with the rules and regs comment, so I apologise.

Going back to my original post
Is it allowed to have 2way switches in a socket circuit?

If an electrician fits them.

nothing I'm retired, you should stay out Pete you did say, I know couldn't resist.

Two way switching of the socket supply may be possible, subject to various considerations including voltage drop and earth fault loop impedance.

There may be better ways, such as wireless control or use of an impulse relay which would allow the switching to be done in low current cable and switches.

Try and find the appropriate rated switches first ................

TBH, despite your description, the only way to really determine this is to get people to take a look - there is no substitute for a site visit expecially when there are ideas of adapting what is already there.

I would more than likely go with wireless controller as it will save a lot of hassle running new circuits in for two way switching etc.

I have recently added a couple of LIFX lamps at home which are WiFi controlled, this sort of set up could be an option.

Switching a socket circuit would be possible to do, (normally it would not arise because switching multiple sockets would not be helpful).
The method you describe is not ideal because of the length of cable run (although you have not specified the length of cable required).
Increasing the length of a circuit by over twice its designed length may cause non compliance that would mean the circuit may not disconnect in time to meet the safety requirements of the regulations.
The redesign of the circuit should take these issues into account.
The cable run could also be better designed to minimise excess cable.
It would be best to ask a local electrician to design the modification for you and ask them if you can run cables as you both require. This would minimise the cost to you and ensure the safety of the circuit.

Reply to ? Installing 2way switches into a outdoor socket circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net