Discuss installing 3ph and single ph wiring into new workshop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

kspray

Ive got the task of sorting out the electrical supply to all the equipment and lighting in our bodyshop as we've just moved to a larger workshop

we have a new board installed with a 125A 3 phase supply installed, the first problem is that the board only has space for 4 circuits

we have the following to supply

electric shutter (10A fuse) 3ph

Spray booth with 2x 4kw fans 9A each 3ph

Compressor (info as on plate on electric motor) 3ph
5.6kW
18.2A/10.6A (might be wrong but im guessing the starting power required is the 18.2A and the continuous draw when running 10.6A??)

Welder 3ph (20A fuse fitted)

what was suggested to me was we should install a single phase board along side the existing one to then run all the single phase items, power points, lighting circuits

first question, the trunking carrying the cables around the shop, its positioned at 2000mm from the floor 50x50 does this have to be metal trunking, or is plastic suitable

who should be contacted to certify the system as safe when the installation is complete

also where will I find the regulations to follow for a commercial property such as ours?

I have done a number of CMS designs for LUL underground stations, but we were talking about huge cable trays with high voltage armoured cables so not really the same thing

finally, best place for me to order the cable, trunking, clips etc..

thanks

I assume that there are already circuits in situ?
If so the extra demand doesn't appear to be excessive although we would need to know what's there already
I would have thought that a 3-phase board with 12 or 18 ways would be perfectly acceptable. Why bother with single phase boards when you could balance the single phase loads across the 3-phases at the origin.

IMO Plastic containment system in a workshop would not be suitable. I would look at Galv. trunking.

the problem with the board is its brand new, the tight ar*e land lord put in last week and its only 4 way! and from what ive been told new 3ph boards are not cheap

at the moment there is on 13a double socket (wall) in the circuit and a small lighting circuit with approx 6 strip lights and the 3ph 10A roller shutter, all the lighting and power will be removed and redone with our new high bay lighting (single ph) and circuit of strip lights on walls and in the office and machine shop (single ph) and circuit of 13A double gang power points around the whole place and the 4 3ph items listed in the first post

so the thinking behind it was to use the board thats already installed to run the 3ph items and have a seperate dist board for the single ph circuits?

You will still need some load balancing of all the single phase circuits.
We are not talking excessive loadings, or size of incomer, or prices within this range
The prices of 125A DBs with Isolator are in the region of ÂŁ200 to ÂŁ300 ( Hager 16W = ÂŁ218). Then breakers, RCBOs, RCDs, switchgear control on top.
You'd probably get the lot for less than ÂŁ3k. A worth while investment if you are manufacturing. Obviously will also depend on the length of the lease.

not being nasty mate, but only a fool would 'check and certify' someone else's work and pass it off as their own. sounds like you need a larger TPN db, some 2x2 gAlv trunking, some steel conduit and a competent electrician to install it for you.

Ive got the task of sorting out the electrical supply to all the equipment and lighting in our bodyshop as we've just moved to a larger workshop

we have a new board installed with a 125A 3 phase supply installed, the first problem is that the board only has space for 4 circuits

5.6kW
18.2A/10.6A (might be wrong but im guessing the starting power required is the 18.2A and the continuous draw when running 10.6A??)

what was suggested to me was we should install a single phase board along side the existing one to then run all the single phase items, power points, lighting circuits

first question, the trunking carrying the cables around the shop, its positioned at 2000mm from the floor 50x50 does this have to be metal trunking, or is plastic suitable

who should be contacted to certify the system as safe when the installation is complete

also where will I find the regulations to follow for a commercial property such as ours?

I have done a number of CMS designs for LUL underground stations, but we were talking about huge cable trays with high voltage armoured cables so not really the same thing

thanks

Do you already hold nationally recognised qualification in Electrical Installation work?

If you are a qualified sparky then please ignore my comments below, if you are not, then read them several times.

This is a commercial premises, if you are not a fully qualified electrician then working on it is an offence under the Electricity at Work Act, further, being a workplace, do you have someone there with electrical qualifications who can undertake a complete set of RAMS for the job, failure to do this will be a material breach of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Act and the Health and Safety at Work Act. A breach of any of those is a guaranteed prosecution these days. Further, if you are interfering with the supply into the building then you risk prosecution under several other Acts too if your not qualified or authorised to do so.

400V 3 Phase KILLS, it can give you flash burns, set your hair on fire, burn your skin to the bone and cook your organs if you get this wrong. You could burn down your unit if you get this wrong.

Don't be a fool, get someone in who is QUALIFIED, EXPERIENCED AND INSURED TO INSTALL SUCH SYSTEMS INTO YOUR PREMISES. Doing it on the cheap is a fools errand and false economy, if this is a legitimate registered company then the costs are tax deductible, as your accountant will tell you.

Don't risk your life or those of others so save a few pounds.

Do you already hold nationally recognised qualification in Electrical Installation work?

If you are a qualified sparky then please ignore my comments below, if you are not, then read them several times.

This is a commercial premises, if you are not a fully qualified electrician then working on it is an offence under the Electricity at Work Act, further, being a workplace, do you have someone there with electrical qualifications who can undertake a complete set of RAMS for the job, failure to do this will be a material breach of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Act and the Health and Safety at Work Act. A breach of any of those is a guaranteed prosecution these days. Further, if you are interfering with the supply into the building then you risk prosecution under several other Acts too if your not qualified or authorised to do so.

400V 3 Phase KILLS, it can give you flash burns, set your hair on fire, burn your skin to the bone and cook your organs if you get this wrong. You could burn down your unit if you get this wrong.

Don't be a fool, get someone in who is QUALIFIED, EXPERIENCED AND INSURED TO INSTALL SUCH SYSTEMS INTO YOUR PREMISES. Doing it on the cheap is a fools errand and false economy, if this is a legitimate registered company then the costs are tax deductible, as your accountant will tell you.

Don't risk your life or those of others so save a few pounds.

read the above and totally agree, ive got a friend who does these installations for a living, I saw him yesterday for him to come and have a look, we will be using him for the install and design, im trying to get as much ready for him as possible, hes not available for a few weeks and we are on a tight schedule so if i can get the trunking installed where hes suggested, and power points in place etc while im having the walls and floor decorated so all he needs to do is run the cabling and set everything up

theres no way i was even contemplating the install, just like to know what to expect and what im dealing with

really appreciate all the replys

I hope your friend isn't contemplating using that silly 4 way TP&N board (that the landlord had installed) with an additional single phase DB/CU. As sure as eggs are eggs, a month after it's all been installed, you'll need another 3 phase supply!! Replace that small 3 phase DB and and install a 3 phase DB of suitable size to accommodate the existing 3 phase and single phase requirements, with further capacity for any future 3 phase loads etc....

With vehicle workshops, especially those with spray booths and welders etc, it would be pure folly to install a PVC trunking system as your containment. Keep it an all metal containment system. You'll be far better off all round, for both mechanical and electrical protection....

Reading your OP its clear 3ph is not your comfort zone.... you are making wrong assumptions regarding the motors ....I suspect its a duel voltage motor and the amp rating are respective to the voltage - the start up current will be approx' 6-10 times the running current and correct sizing and mcb fusing is essential to avoid tripping on start-up. You mention a spray booth... if this is used where explosive gases may build up then regardless of how they had it set up before you will be required to ensure that any electrics is in compliance with respect to explosive atmospheres.... ive seen the set up before where a small garage has moved and his spray booth was very makeshift and non-compliant .... as already mentioned your dis-board is physically too small and that's the hard truth it needs upgrading, if your even asking who should be contacted to certify job then IMHO this job needs to be done by a competent Electrician knowledgeable in 3ph installations and requirements regarding spray booths.... I see this project costing many thousands more than anyone at your end first perceived.

5.6kW

thanks

I think I have made my thoughts perfectly clear on this matter, but if you want advise anyway...

Main board: 12 Way 400V 3 Phase Schneider Isobar board (The Old Merlin Gerin boards)
Isolator: 125A TP&N

3 Phase Services:

All services supplied via SWA unless you fo to the expense of running trunking as you suggest you may.

• Shutter Door: Supply via a 10A TP Type C MCB feeding a 16A 400V 4P+E Ceeform socket (if the drive does not require a neutral this can be changed to a 3P+E) (Ensure this is one with an inbuilt isolator but not RCD)
  • Spray Booths: Supply via 6A TP Type D MCB feeding a 16A 400V 3P+E Ceeform Socket. (Ensure this is one with an inbuilt RCD) (The actual load on 400V of these units is only 5.7A per phase)
  • Compressor: Supply via 10A TP Type D MCB feeding a local Isolator, this should then feed a 16A 3P+E Ceeform socket. (5.6kW @ 400V = 8.09A per phase)
  • Welder: Supply Via a 20A TP Type D MCB feeding a local Isolator. This should then feed a 32A 3P+E Ceeform socket.

You then have 8 spare 3 phase ways or 24 single phase ways. Ensure all single phase services are spread across the phases, calculate the load and spread them, do not simply put 4 on each phase as this is the IT engineer method of balancing and doesn't work. Do not forget to get blanks for ways that are not used. Ensure you have a clear chart for the DB so anyone can clearly identify each and every way in the board.

As I said before, get a fully qualified spark in to do this who has Industrial Experience.

Not sure where you get your motor ratings from Outspoken but a 5.6kw compressor would be approx. 11amp flc and if your using merlin mcb's then either a 32(b), 32(c) or a 16(d) will ensure no nuisance tripping from start-up inrush.... not sure where you got 8.09amps from when OP has already given plate rating of 10.6amps ( I expect the other amp rating is for a different voltage set-up). As the theme of the thread goes though its something like your post he needs im just concerned the spray booth may require external electrics or intrinsically safe gear ...... too little info as normal.

Last edited:
Not sure where you get your motor ratings from Outspoken but a 5.6kw compressor would be approx. 11amp flc and if your using merlin mcb's then either a 32(b), 32(c) or a 16(d) will ensure no nuisance tripping from start-up inrush.... not sure where you got 8.09amps from when OP has already given plate rating of 10.6amps ( I expect the other amp rating is for a different voltage set-up). As the theme of the thread goes though its something like your post he needs im just concerned the spray booth may require external electrics or intrinsically safe gear ...... too little info as normal.

Maths.

5600/(1.73*400) = 8.09A

Unless you have figured out a different way of working it out...clearly you need to take into account pf but the MCB would be sufficient for taking that into account anyway.

Why would you put it on a 32A breaker FFS...?? rate the protective device properly, that is why they are typed!!

I realised how you got your answer but you missed the PF off your calculations which makes a big difference when choosing the correct mcb.

I = P / ( 1.73 * V * p.f)
I = 5600 / (1.73x400x0.8)
I = 5600 / 553.6 .......I get a ball park of 10.12amps using an average 0.8 pf which more or less tallys with his plated flc value and my tabulated tables of KW rating conversion tables.

If on site though i just double the KW rating for a ball park and this allows for PF and can give a figure on demand of an install before i go and do all the calculating where motor flc isn't supplied.

Maths.

5600/(1.73*400) = 8.09A

Unless you have figured out a different way of working it out...clearly you need to take into account pf but the MCB would be sufficient for taking that into account anyway.

Why would you put it on a 32A breaker FFS...?? rate the protective device properly, that is why they are typed!!

Its from the tech' tabulated tables from Schneider with regards to inrush currents and there mcb's fitting the mcb you suggest will invariably give nuisance tripping maybe only occasionally but in design you should avoid this and i for one would rather use a mcb rating calculated by the manufacturer of the mcb than a crude general theme of type C for motors and type D for transformers ...i often have type B's on motors without issues by using the tabulated manufacturers guidelines so zs can be achieved when meeting it can be problematic if using C or D. Lastly how can power factor be accounted for in mcb design its too much of a variable and would mean the time curves would be inaccurate - bad pf will see more current drawn to do same work and mcb's are monitoring the current so you lost me on that comment...so yes PF is vital to correctly choosing your mcb and when needed should be in your calculating. If the PF was already accounted for then why do we have a 1.8 factor when calculating inductive lighting...... well part of that factor is to allow for the PF below unity associated with inductive lighting as well as control gear loses and possible harmonics which can add to current drawn.

Last edited:
DW, A properly designed circuit that was installed as per design would not require a 32A MCB, properly calculated the MCB would be at a sufficient rating to give O/L protection, fault current protection and comply with disconnection times whilst still accounting for inrush currents.

With regards the pF, my comment related to the fact that using a C or D rated MCB would account the the vagaries of variable pF caused by the operation of the machine and fluctuations on the supply that impact it. Clearly if I was designing a circuit from scratch for this this installation i would find out the stated pF from the machine manufacturer and then design the circuit correctly taking into account the length of run and all other factors that would determine cables sizings etc to ensure full 7671 compliance.

I will agree to disagree here, when using mcb's on motor circuits manufactures guidelines must be referred to to ensure nuisance tripping is not ever going to be an issue due to inrush.... and with said compressor been a fixed load and as long as you dont fit it as a plug and socket arrangement the the cabling can be wired as per load and cable calcs and the mcb can overrate the ccc of the cable meaning no additional costings and would still fall within the BS7671.... the number of times ive corrected others installs because the mcb's are nuisance tripping because they stuck basic calcs and believing that the mcb only need be rated the next size up and typed as a (c) in the case of a motor. It dosn't work like this as the trip threshold of the next size up mcb is often too low regardless of type fitted....this is especially the case with compressors as they start on load.

Just with regard to accommodating the power factor of the motor, it might be a consideration that the PF improves significantly as the motor load increases so with a variable load the run current may increase but the energy consumption in kVAr would increase somewhat less.

I see your point Marvo but by habit and also leaving no room for error using the stated PF is the safe option for me, the only issue here on MCB is the trip threshold is variable i.e. a type C would be between 5 to 10 times In so when designing for a motor you should always use the lowest value, 5 in this case and with a standard motor taking up to 10x cuurent on start up then usually you can only guarantee no tripping either fit a type D after confirming it wont also trip or increase MCB rating which usually allows for a lower type.

Merlin range dont recommend you fit type C for motors and only type D unless you refer to their tables of increased mcb rating ... It really turns all the 'what you learned at college on its head' well nowadays it does they still teach them type C for motors and type D for transformers.....wish it was that simple.

Reply to installing 3ph and single ph wiring into new workshop in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock