Discuss Installing 4mm cable, installation method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all. I’m getting to be a regular poster on here (it is an awesome source of info, thank you all). So, discussing with a seasoned electrician this week (I’m a relative newbie to the trade). So 4mm cable run as a radial on a 32A mcb, now reference method 100 states max current is 27A. They are saying it’s ok but I’m not sure regarding when it gets documented for a EIC; would this not get picked up by the governing body as not meeting the regs. Or am I being to ‘by the book’ as my view is it should be down rated to a 25A mcb. If it went ahead as the 32A mcb would it be ok to be documented on EIC as reference method 100 even though it’s a higher A rating than the OSG states. Some guidance would be truly helpful.

If the radial was feeding only one socket outlet be it either a single or a double,then I’d agree with the other electrician but multiple outlets, then no.
Stick to your guns ,it is unacceptable.

Thank you. It’s feeding 3 double sockets and runs through joists with insulation between ceiling and floor. Just didn’t want to be a smart arse ‘who thinks after doing an installers course knows best’. I will discuss this with the seasoned spark...

Thank you. It’s feeding 3 double sockets and runs through joists with insulation between ceiling and floor. Just didn’t want to be a smart arse ‘who thinks after doing an installers course knows best’. I will discuss this with the seasoned spark...
Remember to much Salt is bad for you "seasoned Spark" sorry couldn't resist.

Lol. Good comment . If the install had been run up the breeze block wall then round the upstairs brick wall, and then plastered over, clipped direct would have worked. Just want to do the right thing.

Lol. Good comment . If the install had been run up the breeze block wall then round the upstairs brick wall, and then plastered over, clipped direct would have worked. Just want to do the right thing.

Hi Sean

Yes, you are right. Your experienced sparky mate should know better lol :). The load is undetermined as feeding sockets so it would have to be based on protective device rating. The cable is undersized. In fact, due to the insulation, you should also add rating factors to that which reduces the current carrying capacity further.

Is cable completely surrounded in insulation?

How far does it run in insulation?

Reply to Installing 4mm cable, installation method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock