Discuss Installing a Japanese Style Toilet Seat in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking in to installing a Japanese type toilet seat/bidet in the UK. I understand the requirements about the different zones but all of the information I can find on electricity in the bathroom does not cover powered toilets.

I would assume that these seats are of a suitable IP rating, although in my quick look I cannot see the ratings quoted..

Anyway, does anyone know what the rules are around these products in the UK? Are they legal (I need the house to be saleable)? If so do they need to be on an isolated supply? My plan would be that it is hardwired, so no plug, and on a fused spur from the RCD protected consumer unit.

Any advice is appreciated

Welcome to the Forum from the Staff :)

To be compliant I assume it will have the recognised EC or CE mark depending how old it is... the rest is down to standard Zoning for a bathroom.

Combination Bowl and Electronic Bidet Seats

never installed one and would be keen to see how you get alone doing it or whomever dose it for you
guess it would be like them "Put a Toilet any were" a Poo Masher system, wiring wise.
Guess its on a Spur from the Ring, or its own Radial (might be just as easy)

You got a way with the words lol :grin: I take it you mean a macerator :)

Go big or go home I guess..... the heated seat is a little weird at first, also im scottish so i begrudge spending money on heat; need to work out how to disable it as the mrs will have it on full chat! I'm not doing it right now, need to save up first as they are a small fortune over here. It's tempting to import as they are fairly cheap in Japan but then you need a transformer. Might still be cheaper though... I'm fairly sure in 10 years theyll be common place in the uk, if only to reduce toilet roll waste! If you've not used one then it's probably cheaper to take my word for it and just buy one as it'll cost you more to fly to Japan to try it out, but I was sold on first use!

you may be able to import one from Japan some how. is not gonna work straight away , they have 100v wiring system...
but you can get a 230-100v transformer and power it from that.
if you can get hold of one and install it it would be a show stopper for any guests stepping in your bathroom.
little sinks built into the cistern are really cool too.
plus a lot of buttons, some knobs, some got display too.
if you get stuck you can send me a PM, my other half is Japanese, may be possible to arrange buying one there and shipping here, but not expect it to be cheap (pallet/container ship etc) ...

jap2.jpg
japtoil1.jpg

Didn't know they had them, when I was out there years ago it was a hole in the floor and you was supposed to squat. Never used them waited till I got back to the ship.

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::ack2::ack2:

Do they come fitted with an ATR.

Last edited:
Japanese technology verses Kleanex toilet paper.....on the whole, Kleanex is softer....

I disagree, toilet paper seems primative after you've used these things. 3 shells doesn't appeal to me... :)

I don't know why the UK doesn't like the bidet, it's quite common in many countries.

if you get stuck you can send me a PM, my other half is Japanese, may be possible to arrange buying one there and shipping here, but not expect it to be cheap (pallet/container ship etc) ...

There are at least 45 retailers of Toto in the U.K

Retailer search *| TOTO[country]=UK

On that basis I would assume they are CE approved AND more importantly can comply with UK Water regs.

Last edited:
Didn't know they had them, when I was out there years ago it was a hole in the floor and you was supposed to squat. Never used them waited till I got back to the ship.

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::ack2::ack2:

Do they come fitted with an ATR.
look for McDonalds while you out there to get a western style toilet lol.

keep a pic of mc donalds on your phone and the locals can point you in the direction lol

Im still reading about Toilets and Zones.
But a Socket has to be 3m away from Zone 1, what i think in my bathroom means NO (not big enought)
but a Switchable Flex outlet

Electrician's Guide to Building Regulations Page 65

"Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers
Washing machines and tumle dryers may e installed in bathrooms provided they are:
Installed outside the zones
Supplied from a switched fused flex outlet (socket-outlets are only allowed 3m from Zone1) Installed outside the zones
Protected by a 30mA RCD
Permitted for such installation by the manufacturer"

Im still reading about Toilets and Zones.
But a Socket has to be 3m away from Zone 1, what i think in my bathroom means NO (not big enought)
but a Switchable Flex outlet

Electrician's Guide to Building Regulations Page 65

"Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers
Washing machines and tumle dryers may e installed in bathrooms provided they are:
Installed outside the zones
Supplied from a switched fused flex outlet (socket-outlets are only allowed 3m from Zone1) Installed outside the zones
Protected by a 30mA RCD
Permitted for such installation by the manufacturer"
Most washing machines are classed as at least IPX4 and so long as the switches are not in zone then this is not a problem.
It would need thinking about to ensure suitability but should be OK in general.
You could even have an unswitched flex outlet plate in zone 2 so long as you can maintain the IP ratng

I've fitted a couple. I normally rcd protect at the consumer unit or an rcd fused spur outside of the bathroom. Then fit a flex-connection unit to wire the toilet too.

Reply to Installing a Japanese Style Toilet Seat in the UK in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net