Discuss Installing additional remote room thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

csj

-
Reaction score
I want to add a remote room thermostat to my present central heating system.

At present I have a Draytek non-remote room thermostat which is located in the bedroom and I want to leave that one there. It has been wired/setup so that, when the heating is switched on, when the temperature drops below the rrquired temperature in that bedroom, it switches on the central heating pump,

I have also added another identical non-remote thermostat located downstairs and which is wired in parallel to the bedroom one.

Both of these work fine and will switch on the pump when either thermostat calls for heat. They both then have to be turned down to stop the pump

I would like to replace the downstairs non-remote thermostat with a remote one but, again, wired so that when the temperature drops it calls for heat. (This is because we are about to have a couple of additional radiators installed downstairs).

I am, however, unsure about the wiring for the new remote thermostat and am requesting some advice.

At present, the two Draytek thermostats have 3 wires:
1. Blue (presumably neutral) wire
2. A red (presumably live)
3. An orange (presumablyswitched live?)

These wires go back to a junction box in the garage and from there to the boiler, the pump and a simple time switch in the airing cupboard.

My new remote rhermostat is a cheap Celect one with 4 terminals:

2 terminals are together and labelled L and N (with an added note in the box stating that these should be to Permanent Live and Neutral).

The other 2 terminals are also together and labelled 1 and 2 (with the note indicating that that they should go to the thermostat on the boiler).

I can see how to connect the L and N to my present system but am confused about how and where to connect the 1 and 2 terminals so that it will operate my pump like the present system.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

yeah, receiver output terminals in parallel with existing stat, then the wireless stat. signals the receiver to call for heat.

Thanks for your replies.

From what telectrix and jaydee81 say, do I take it that thje only 2 terminals that I need to connect are the permanent live and neutral ones and that the 2 terminals labelled 1 and 2 are not connected to anything but are there to receive the wireless signal for switching the signal on and off.

For the sake of clarity, in response to Geoffsd's comment about there being no point in replacing an existing thermostat with a remote in the same place, I would be replacing a fixed, wired thermostat with a remote one which I could then move around the house until I found the best location for it.

Are the 1 and 2 for positive and negative temperature switching? Just connect your switch wire to one terminal and see if it works, if not try the other. But it usually tells you on the unit what the terminals do, if not the instructions should.

Tried to find instructions for this model but struggling as you've bought something cheap and nasty! It looks like 1 and 2 are for live and neutral, and when it switches it closes the other set of 1 and 2 contacts. So you would need to take a live from terminal 1 to the other terminal 1, and connect your pump feed to terminal 2.

Then get ready to call the fire brigade as the house burns down. It needs checking with a continuity meter to confirm.

Diolch Drew35 am eich ateb.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all three wires". I have 4 terminals on this new remote stat and I can see that the N and L go to the main Live and neutral supply from the mains. What would be the third wire you are referring to: the other 2 terminals are labelled 1 and 2 and are described as "going to the boiler".

I simply need to go to the pump but am unsure which terminal(s) would be used for this.

For the sake of clarity, in response to Geoffsd's comment about there being no point in replacing an existing thermostat with a remote in the same place, I would be replacing a fixed, wired thermostat with a remote one which I could then move around the house until I found the best location for it.
Agreed but in that case you will be left with the receiver in your lounge so just as well fit it near the wiring centre in the first place.

Reply to Installing additional remote room thermostat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net