Discuss Installing boxes (and cabling) in Bellrock Plaster walls in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

rsmck

Anyone had any experience with Bellrock Plaster Partitions ? Seemed to be popular with John Lawrence (Glasgow) builders in the mid-late 1950s but I can't find may other examples of them.

The entire wall is constructed from a sort of plaster honeycomb (approx 6" wide hexagons made of solid plaster with thin fibre-glass like strands through them) and is load bearing (image attached)

How would you go about mounting back boxes in this - trying to fix a timber batten in the back of the hexagonal section and screwing the boxes to that and plastering them in afterwards seems like the best I can come up with... also the walls sit on timber bases on top of the floorboards, so can be drilled through at the base to bring cables up from the basement below, the upper level is a bit trickier..

The other option we've considered is cutting larger holes out of it, patching it with a small section of normal plasterboard and using simple plasterboard boxes (with flanges) but that seems like a lot of work for a few sockets.

Anyway there must be someone else who's had the misfortune to work with this stuff - any advice ?

Installing boxes (and cabling) in Bellrock Plaster walls 248579_10150189931346960_540616959_7545145_6461524_n - EletriciansForums.net

That's used in some of the (ex) council houses in Redditch. The properties with it in that I have worked in have either surface mount boxes with board fixings, or board boxes let in to the honeycomb, or a mixture of the two.

It's awful stuff to work on, but on the plus side running the conduit or oval through it is easy.

Hi,
My nan has it in her house, all i did was put two small batterns either side of my cut out and screwed through the sides ok my metal box.
Looks like i got lucky for once!!
Hope this helps
Steven

That's used in some of the (ex) council houses in Redditch.

Interesting to know it is used further afield, I thought it was pretty much limited to John Lawrence's properties in Glasgow :) ... in some ways it seems a really good material to *build* with but any retrofitting afterwards is a pain.

I know the more modern equivalent with a cardboard lattice between two bits of plasterboard is quite common but at least that can just be treated as a normal plasterboard wall (and cut out the card in the middle ;))

Making these boxes look neat is proving tricky though.

If it's non standard load bearing I'd be worried about altering the structural characteristics of the building chopping it out. May be wrong but personally I'd prefer to err on the side of caution with this stuff.....

If it's non standard load bearing I'd be worried about altering the structural characteristics of the building chopping it out. May be wrong but personally I'd prefer to err on the side of caution with this stuff.....

It's "partially supporting" the joists in the upper floor (they sit on top of the wall) which span the full width of the house according to a family member who's a surveyor - nothing to worry about removing holes for sockets etc apparently but the wall that we're removing will need a lintel (albeit simply two pieces of timber spiked together, not an RSJ as a brick wall would)

(n.b. I'm not a professional - if anyone is reading this because they've got a similar wall in their house don't go knocking huge holes out of it without getting it checked first ;))

Reply to Installing boxes (and cabling) in Bellrock Plaster walls in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock