Discuss Installing Ceiling Fan/Light and Light wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all-

just got a fan/light combo as a replacement for a fan only setup, in existing junction box, and utilize a Lutron light and fan combo switch instead of a simple on/off switch that was last there with the old setup.

Been a while since I removed the old stuff so now lost on how to make it all work.

Attached is the current wiring setup, and if it weren't for the downstream ceiling light this would be easy. But I'm stumped on how to have a switch that controls the new fan/light and a separate switch that controls the recessed ceiling light as well.

welcome wiring connection support.

Attachments

• 88F55FD0-6B58-415B-928E-D09F2B6ED729.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 6
Hi all-

just got a fan/light combo as a replacement for a fan only setup, in existing junction box, and utilize a Lutron light and fan combo switch instead of a simple on/off switch that was last there with the old setup.

Been a while since I removed the old stuff so now lost on how to make it all work.

Attached is the current wiring setup, and if it weren't for the downstream ceiling light this would be easy. But I'm stumped on how to have a switch that controls the new fan/light and a separate switch that controls the recessed ceiling light as well.

@YSbenjemin I’m a little confused on exactly what you are asking but is there a blue wire and black wire along with a white and green wire internally wired in your fan/ light. You have your power where your switches are located and what I seen on your drawing are you wanting to add another switch? Your fan/ light should have a blue wire which is for the light only and the black wire is for the fan only. I guess I’m saying is you are wanting to turn the fan on with one switch and one switch for the light
[automerge]1594432013[/automerge]
Hi all-

What’s the strange wire colors coming from the second switch which has no power at this time?

@YSbenjemin I’m a little confused on exactly what you are asking but is there a blue wire and black wire along with a white and green wire internally wired in your fan/ light. You have your power where your switches are located and what I seen on your drawing are you wanting to add another switch? Your fan/ light should have a blue wire which is for the light only and the black wire is for the fan only. I guess I’m saying is you are wanting to turn the fan on with one switch and one switch for the light
[automerge]1594432013[/automerge]

What’s the strange wire colors coming from the second switch which has no power at this time?

hey there! Fan has blue (light), white, black and ground.

switch 2 is the Lutron switch, it's a 1 gang switch that has both a light dimmer and fan speed buttons.

so with the existing wire diagram, I'm unsure how to integrate the fan and new switch without affecting the downstream light that is controlled by switch 1

@Megawatt

switch 2 is the Lutron switch, it's a 1 gang switch that has both a light dimmer and fan speed buttons.

so with the existing wire diagram, I'm unsure how to integrate the fan and new switch without affecting the downstream light that is controlled by switch 1
[/QUOTE]

@Megawatt

[/QUOTE]
Ok Benjamin obviously tha black needs to be the power and you will have to have a white neutral, and ground wire.Now you have a red and yellow left, so with that said the red is going to serve one function and the yellow is going to serve you your other function. I don’t know which wire color does what without the paper work but you should be able to figure it out.from here. Please let us know how it turns out for you and if you have any more questions let us know. Good luck my friend

Reply to Installing Ceiling Fan/Light and Light wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net