Discuss Installing data points in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm about to start pulling in the data cat 6 cable from the loft down to every room. I plan to have a switch in the loft which will then be connected to the router.

My question is about cable routes and boxes. Iv only ever seen data outlets either surface mounted or in recessed in stud walls. Can a data outlet be recessed into a solid brick wall? If so, are the back boxes standard single gang galv boxes?

The cables will be ran down the wall and the dot and dab plasterboard over the top. Is containment a requirement? Over conduit? Capping?

Absolutely, you should be able to use standard metal back box obviously depending on the face plates you are using. Be careful of the depth though, some RJ45 socket outlets can be quite deep.

There's not real need for containment other than making it look nice. Try and stick to the rules about zones. Put a drill through one of them, it's definitely not going to kill you or cause a fire etc. but it will be an inconvenience repairing it. You could run them in some of the oval conduit, couple of cables each. Don't run then along side mains cables for any great distance as this could impact performance.

Agree with everything @SparkyChick said, except remember the speed that technology improves at.
10 years ago, a normal network connection was 10M bit
Now it is 100 times as fast as that.
It might be worth putting it in some oval conduit so the cable can be replaced later without redecorating.

Agree with everything @SparkyChick said, except remember the speed that technology improves at.
10 years ago, a normal network connection was 10M bit
Now it is 100 times as fast as that.
It might be worth putting it in some oval conduit so the cable can be replaced later without redecorating.

That only works if the next cable fits in the oval conduit, for example cat 7 can be a bit chunky and may not fit down oval conduit.

I'm about to start pulling in the data cat 6 cable from the loft down to every room. I plan to have a switch in the loft which will then be connected to the router.

My question is about cable routes and boxes. Iv only ever seen data outlets either surface mounted or in recessed in stud walls. Can a data outlet be recessed into a solid brick wall? If so, are the back boxes standard single gang galv boxes?

The cables will be ran down the wall and the dot and dab plasterboard over the top. Is containment a requirement? Over conduit? Capping?
Hello Dave, I'd opt for a 35mm single back box in a masonary wall & if its dot & dab & the data cables can be fished that would be my choice rather than start chasing walls. Craig

I'd opt for a 35mm single back box
Agreed - use as deep a box as is reasonably practical to give yourself some room to work and tuck the spare cable away. Data cabling is subject to performance degradation if kinked, though given the link lengths in a normal house it's not likely to be an issue.
My preference is to go for Euro module sockets - that way you can choose your sockets based on what you want from the sockets (Connectix do some nice low profile ones), and choose the faceplate to match the rest of the accessories (just about all the ranges have euro module face plates). It's details like matching the face plates that a) I'ma stickler for, and b) make a huge difference to the overall impression of the job - I really hate it when I see data sockets that just stick out like a sore thumb.
As an aside, in case you're not already aware ... A single euro module is 50mm x 50mm, data sockets are 1/2 a module. If you want a single socket in a single faceplate, then you need two off 1/4 module blanks to centre the socket. I've been caught out by this in the past :blush:
if its dot & dab & the data cables can be fished that would be my choice rather than start chasing walls.
I'd always use conduit, and take the time to enlarge the hole in the box so the conduit end in the box. That way you definitely can replace cables. I would never, ever, trust the builders not to put a dab right on the cables and/or in the way of the box holes - and block any possibility of doing any work later :fearscream:

Reply to Installing data points in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net