Discuss Installing garden floodlights and CCTV in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you can all help.

I'm moving house soon, and got a few jobs that I need doing. I'm looking at doing them myself (if possible) to save a bit of cash and get done in my own time. I'm not a spark, but have always doing little bits and bobs of my own so am comfortable, however I dont know what the regs say or if I would need to have a qualified electrician do the work..

1) need a garden floodlight with P.I.R installing in the back garden and one over the drive way at the side.
Not sure which way to go with this.. but can I just take a fused spur off the ring main? Then drill outside to hang the light?
Also If I was to add a second light, could I just run some flex inside some conduit around the outside of the wall or would it require me to put a second fused spur to control the light?
Idea of the lights is purely to activate on motion, not bothered about being able to turn them to perm on.

When I first move in I will have a week or so before Flooring starts to go down so I will have access to the 1st floor floorboards quite easily.

2)CCTV.. again I'm looking at doing this myself with a POE system. My main question is regarding where to fit the cameras.. Im wanting to install them in to the eaves and run cabling through the loft and then chase/fish behind the wall in to an upstairs bedroom. Ive never done this sort of work before so if anyone has any tips/suggestions on making it easier or what to watch out for then any help would be appreciated.

It is a new build so I dont want to do too much damage, but I dont mind giving anything a go myself.

Thanks in advance ?

1) need a garden floodlight with P.I.R installing in the back garden and one over the drive way at the side.
Not sure which way to go with this.. but can I just take a fused spur off the ring main? Then drill outside to hang the light?
Also If I was to add a second light, could I just run some flex inside some conduit around the outside of the wall or would it require me to put a second fused spur to control the light?
Idea of the lights is purely to activate on motion, not bothered about being able to turn them to perm on.

1. Does the house consumer unit have RCD protection? Why not just tap off the lighting circuit? Then you don't need a fused spur.

2.. Have a search on here for the CCTV.

1. Does the house consumer unit have RCD protection? Why not just tap off the lighting circuit? Then you don't need a fused spur.

2.. Have a search on here for the CCTV.
Cheers for the reply Spoon,

Yeah its RCD protected.. didnt think about tapping off the lighting circuit to be honest. Just presumed I'd need to have some form of isolator hence the thought if the fused spur/switch but yes that could definitely be easier..

And yeah I've just found the cctv section so having a look through that now.

Thanks again

Yeah its RCD protected.. didnt think about tapping off the lighting circuit to be honest. Just presumed I'd need to have some form of isolator hence the thought if the fused spur/switch but yes that could definitely be easier..

It would be good to fit a dual pole isolator, just in case the outside light gets water ingress and then you can isolate it, while fixing it.

Depending on your needs. I installed a control unit in the garage and connected light to it. I also attached extra low voltage circuit (12v) to the control unit through a transformer.

the advantage was that I could use wireless PIRs (battery) remote from the lights though obviously the 230v lights need that supply.

The other lights being 12volt means wiring is far simpler.
the control unit works all circuits attached to it.

Depending on your needs. I installed a control unit in the garage and connected light to it. I also attached extra low voltage circuit (12v) to the control unit through a transformer.

the advantage was that I could use wireless PIRs (battery) remote from the lights though obviously the 230v lights need that supply.

The other lights being 12volt means wiring is far simpler.
the control unit works all circuits attached to it.

Running a circuit to the garage, just for a garden light is a bit OTT and makes things more complicated. The OP just wants lights attached to his house, I'm presuming. No mention of cables going to the garage, mate.

Running a circuit to the garage, just for a garden light is a bit OTT and makes things more complicated. The OP just wants lights attached to his house, I'm presuming. No mention of cables going to the garage, mate.
The controller could be in the house in this case.

Reply to Installing garden floodlights and CCTV in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock