Discuss Installing LED Downlights, LED Dimmer and fan with timer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just some advice if anyone can help?....

I'm installing 6 LED downlights in a bathroom, on an LED compatible dimmer switch.

Just had a thought, the fan they have comes on with the lights and with timer overun. If the fan is wired into this circuit, being an LED dimmer, will it affect the fan. More importantly, will the fan blow the LED dimmer?

I was told by Mr Resistor in London that I could install a RELAY (although I don't particularly trust what information they give me!) - would this work and does anyone have an experience installing relays?

Any advice would be amazing

Thanks, Kelly :)

You could always change the fan to one with a built in PIR sensor :)

Can't see how a relay will work with the dimmer tbh. If the dimmer is set to a low position then there won't be enough voltage to pull in the coil of the relay.

What about installing a flush mounted ceiling PIR to switch the fan?

Why would you want dimmed lighting in bathroom anyway?

....and I shall not be accepting '"mood lighting" as an answer. Switch the lights off with a standard SWITCH and light some candles.

wire a standard switch and dimmer switch in series? fan timer input into a switch, light into the dimmer. when customers wants the light on, flip the switch, activate the fan, adjust with dimmer if necessary... see if you can get grid mounted dimmer for your leds.

If the fan is a timed over run fan the dimmmer wont affect the performance, even an led dimmer should be ok, the switched live fro the fan is just a trigger, the fan is supplied through the permanent live, if the fan is coming off and on with the switch then you have a problem

I have done it once for halogen's using a retractable switch and something like this Z-Wave Fibaro | Vesternet

It says in the link that dim's LED lamps as well but you know that it does not mean anything until you try. I can't remember what brand of dimmer I used and I used a retractable switch to control all adding a relay for the fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
can't see why anyone in their right mind would want dimmed lights in a bathroom. difficult enough to see to wipe your arse without having dim lights.

TLC would sell snow to the eskimos if there was a profit to be made.

Reply to Installing LED Downlights, LED Dimmer and fan with timer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net