Discuss Installing LED strips but not working possible short circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. Seems like a simple fix just need some advice. I was fixing LED strips in the kitchen today. The switch in the kitchen is a 2-gang which powers the LED strips and the ceiling lights.

There are 3 seperate LED strips to go around the kitchen, each connected to an LED driver and power cable (live & neutral). 1 strip works off a fused spur and the other 2 strips work off another fused spur. But both fused spurs connect to the same light switch.

I connected a strip to the lone fused spur first. Installed a 3amp fuse in the spur switch and it worked brilliantly for a couple hours. Then I unhooked the wires to adjust everything and make it nice and neat. When reconnecting every thing back I must've let the live (brown) and neutral (blue) power cables connected to the spur touch each other. I heard a very faint "poof" and the circuit breaker for the kitchen lights flipped off. So I switched the fuse spur off and switched the circuit breaker back on but the LED strips don't go back on. I've tried reconnecting and trying different LED strip and driver but still not working.

I tried connecting to the other fused spur too but no luck, doesn't work either.

The kitchen ceiling lights are on the same circuit and switch and work fine. Wondering what could be the issue and whether it's what I'm dreading; the power cable connecting between the fused spurs and light switch are damaged?

More fool you bud for twiddling with stuff when the power is on. Have you checked the fuses in the spurs?

If the fuses in the spurs are OK then you have either fried the transformers or tripped protection in the lv transformer

Why have you got fused spurs on the lighting circuit? They are not required as a 3 amp fuse will not discriminate against s 6 amp MCB, as you have found out.

Or you may have fried the switch contacts.
Do you have a voltage tester - NOT a neon screwdriver?

More fool you bud for twiddling with stuff when the power is on. Have you checked the fuses in the spurs?

Sorry i thought this part may have made it clear that i did everything with switches off; "Then I unhooked the wires to adjust everything and make it nice andneat. When reconnecting every thing back..."

Clearly wasn't clear enough for you, apologies for that.

Haven't got the equipment but can get it. In regards to why it's connected to fused spur i don't know! It's how i got it.

Sorry i thought this part may have made it clear that i did everything with switches off; "Then I unhooked the wires to adjust everything and make it nice andneat. When reconnecting every thing back..."

Clearly wasn't clear enough for you, apologies for that.

Haven't got the equipment but can get it. In regards to why it's connected to fused spur i don't know! It's how i got it.
Well bud it's like this, if everything was safely isolated then nothing would have gone "poof".

You may have blown the fault clear on the circuit. You need to isolate the full circuit and test for continuity on the conductors and look for visible signs of damage.

Have you checked for voltage at the FCUs?

The fault surge could also have fried the LED drivers.

Thank you for your input all. Bought a multimeter at the weekend and it was the fuse in the end.

The 3amp fuse was in the switch when the issue occurred so I understand this. Don't understand why the 5amp fuse is blown though as I put this in after?

Nevertheless, put in a 13 amp fuse on Saturday and all seems well now.

Once again, thank you.

Reply to Installing LED strips but not working possible short circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock