Discuss Installing outdoor lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Craig2810

DIY
Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have a query around installing some outdoor lighting, I plan to install around 15 outdoor lights containing GU10 led 4.7w bulbs. While I am confident with fitting and cabling the lights I am unsure of how to connect them to the mains. Is it possible to simply connect them to an already existing outdoor plug socket or is it a job for a qualified electrician to connect directly to the consumer unit inside my home?

Thanks

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming that you've wired them correctly, right cable, right cable size.... etc, then you could easily add an IP rated fused switch spur to come off the outdoor plug (assuming it is RCD protected?!), fuse at 3A. It would be unusual for something like this to need a dedicated circuit.

Reply to Installing outdoor lighting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net