Discuss Installing outlet in hardwood floor VS recessed in brick??? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

COamateur

DIY
Reaction score
Hello! I need to install 2 new outlets in my living room — an 1887 brick home that we are gradually remodeling. I don't want to do any surface mounted boxes b/c of the historic aesthetic. So I see my options as:
  1. Floor outlets recessed into the hardwood floors, or
  2. Wall outlets recessed/chiseled into the perimeter walls, which are a mortar/plaster mix directly over brick (no lathe).
I don’t love the idea of floor outlets in case furniture layouts ever change...but chiseling out brick isn't fun either. Which would you do?

Thanks for any help!

In the UK we quite often chisel out brick walls for outlets and switches. Not that difficult with an SDS drill and chisel bits. Be glad it's only 2 you've got to do!
I've just done my kitchen with 6 double outlet boxes and 3 singles sunk into the brickwork.

In the UK we quite often chisel out brick walls for outlets and switches. Not that difficult with an SDS drill and chisel bits. Be glad it's only 2 you've got to do!
I've just done my kitchen with 6 double outlet boxes and 3 singles sunk into the brickwork.

Great! Thanks for the reply. What do you typically do about baseboards? We have 9" baseboards that the cable would need to go behind as well.

Long drill bit. I assume they're what we call skirting boards, wooden planks around the bottom of the wall?

Reply to Installing outlet in hardwood floor VS recessed in brick??? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I may have posted this before but not sure if it made it in. I want to install an EV Charger in my garage. The panel is two stories up and the...
Replies
Views
I own a top floor tenement flat that I used to live in and then rented out after I married. It is currently empty whilst some work is being done...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am rewiring my basement, which includes the stairwell that leads from the main floor kitchen down to the basement. Here is an idea of...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I am trying to install three new light fixtures (hanging lantern type) that will hang from the ceiling of an outdoor covered porch...
Replies
Views
I'm about to start pulling in the data cat 6 cable from the loft down to every room. I plan to have a switch in the loft which will then be...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock